We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Critical illness claim

Hi all newbie here,

I am looking for some advise if possible please, I have been diagnosed with severe and profound hearing loss. I have been put on the cochlear implant waiting list and was wondering if I should claim on my critical illness policy. The wording is a little vague and was hoping maybe someone has previous experience with something similar or could offer advice. The wording states greater than 95 decibels across all frequencies in the better Permanent and irreversible loss of hearing to the extent that the loss is greater than 70 decibels across all frequencies in the better ear using a pure tone audiogram.

«1

Comments

  • Hearingloss2026
    Hearingloss2026 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    Sorry clearly newbie…

    The wording states Permanent and irreversible loss of hearing to the extent that the loss is greater than 70 decibels across all frequencies in the better ear using a pure tone audiogram.

  • Hearingloss2026
    Hearingloss2026 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    really am hopeless…

    I was wondering what I would need to supply for this and if the cochlear implants would mean this wording would be classed as a cure?

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,118 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Critical illness pays out if certain conditions are met with regard to the illness - the payout won't usually be impacted by any subsequent treatment or cure (e.g. a critical illness payout for a cancer diagnosis can't be reversed/invalidated due to successful treatment).

    The first step would be to contact the insurer and start the claim process. All companies will differ in terms of what they need to assess the claim, so they will be best placed to advise you on the next steps.

  • Hearingloss2026
    Hearingloss2026 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    @Woodstok2000 thank you for replying. I really appreciate it. I would imagine I will be declined as all of my readings are 80 or more but one single reading is exactly 70. And the policy states greater than 70. Mathematically 71. Do you think there is any point? Again thank you for any advice

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,118 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Only the insurer will know if theyll accept the claim, but what have you got to lose? Worst case scenario they decline the claim, at least you know for sure.

  • Hearingloss2026
    Hearingloss2026 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    @Woodstok2000 this is very true. The stress just now is at an all time high with the thought of the implants and finances and how work in the future could be impacted. But you’re right if I don’t apply I won’t know.

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,118 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Good Luck!

  • Hearingloss2026
    Hearingloss2026 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    Hi everyone, I submitted the claim. And I submitted what I had medically myself - letters, some reports etc. They have come back and offered an advance payment that doesn’t need to be repaid if my claim is denied? Is this normal?

  • Hearingloss2026
    Hearingloss2026 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    sorry I should have said, would they go to the hassle of getting reports from specialist and GP etc and offering the advance payment if it was a straightforward no? Maybe wishful thinking on my part but just wondering if anyone has had similar. Thank you

  • Weighty1
    Weighty1 Posts: 1,255 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I'm aware that they provide these advanced payments in some circumstances, such as if you are on an NHS waiting list for heart surgery for example, but am not familiar to them doing it in regards to hearing loss. Doesn't sound liike it's anything to be concerned about though. Quite the opposite if I'm honest!

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.