We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Landlord inspection after 10 years
Comments
-
This is on the cards indeed. If only to protect the next renter. Once, the light fittings broke and he came, said it was a broken light switch (it was t, but that would have been a cheaper fix so he tried to insist it was). He took the switch off the wall and just left it dangling for a week until I finally put it back myself. It took another week for an electrician to come and take a look. This was 8 weeks ago and the light is still not fixed....
0 -
Something tells me this construction for power to the dishwasher probably wouldn't pass an inspection...
2 -
Was there an inventory on move in which she agreed to? Judging by everything else you've said I doubt it. And if not, the landlord would have a hard job of trying to prove any damage/wear and tear wasn't already there when your friend moved in.
As someone else said, tell her to take photos when she leaves, and not attend the check out inspection. There is no reason for your friend to have any further communication with him, and if he wants to waste money, he can try taking her to court.
2 -
Any pictures from move in 10 years ago so that they can be referred to for fair wear and tear.
1 -
No pictures I think. I mean, I suspect many people wouldn't have any specific ones from that long ago. But I'll ask.
The house is now clean, we washed every surface and filled all the holes and painted the walls with the repairs. Sticking the loose wallpaper down tomorrow and then it is done.
1 -
Many people have Amazon or Google photos that auto save all photos to the cloud so you might be surprised.
Sounds like you have gone above and beyond so I wouldn't worry too much and if the landlord chirps up mention the lack of electrical and gas certificates and if they want to go down that route you will respond accordingly
0 -
Sticking the loose wallpaper down tomorrow and then it is done.
Waterproof PVA is ideal for that job.
"As a woman" your friend wouldn't know what a pain it is to remove when someone wants to re-wallpaper later on.
9 -
As a woman, my friend thinks this is a great idea. Because, as a woman, she used PVA to seal the wood of the worktop when she fitted a new kitchen sink last week in the house she bought.…
5 -
Perfect. She clearly knows her stuff, as a woman.
6 -
Ignoring how dangerous that is; I haven't seen a socket like that in decades.
I think if your friend takes comprehensive photos and video before she leaves, if it came to anything it'll be fairly clear that most of the fittings pre-date the 10 year tenancy, so any damage beyond wear and tear will be impossible to identify.
I'd normally suggest leaving the place more or less as she found it, but other than that I'd just evidence the state it was when the tenancy ends, move out and don't give him any forwarding details.4
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
