We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Renegotiating broadband

I've been with Virgin since it used to be Telewest - used to have pretty much everything, landline, tv with sky cinema, sports - full package, and of course a fast broadband

I cut back to just broadband in 2020 when I got divorced - got rid of the landline & tv - was paying 30+ per month.

My contract runs out this month so I checked what I could get as a new customer - basically 1GB for 24 quid as opposed to the 250Mb for 31 that they were offering as a special deal. I contacted them in chat - told them i'd accept the new customer deal or I'd be walking. Discussions and suggestions followed, but eventually I said I'm walking, and my new supplier would be in touch soon to arrange the swap (I'd researched the opposition here - it was way better.)

24 hours later I had a phone call offering me exactly what I wanted.

Walk away from negotiations. They want your business. Though be prepared to go through with it if they call your bluff of course

Comments

  • Billxx
    Billxx Posts: 316 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Well done. It always helps if there is genuine competition in the area. Where I live there was no competition, it was all Virgin cable or nothing. Recently BT came in and laid fibre, hence competition, hence when it was time to negotiate I got a good deal in no time at all.


    Kind Regards,

    Bill
  • Blackjack_Davy
    Blackjack_Davy Posts: 581 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker

    Bloody good deal I'm on Vodafone poxy FTTC for £30 pcm and nowt else

    Blessed are the geeks, for they shall inherit the Internet.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 33,233 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Sounds better than Vodafone who refused a deal I had seen others get online, then several weeks later
    they call to offer the same deal. I said too late I am in a contract now.

    Seen some good new customer deals but a few people locally who use them keep getting internet and TV dropouts
    they get a bit of a discount but what use is that when you need the service and it's down?

    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 1,639 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Vodafone use the Openreach network, even if it is only FTTC at the moment there will still be plenty of other options surely?

  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 3,124 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    I never bother negotiating with anything, if there is a better deal I will simply take that, especially as I can usually earn money on TopCashBack for switching. I can't remember the last time I stayed with any supplier for more than a year. The way I see it, why should I put any effort into trying to get a better deal when I can simply just take what someone else haa offered?

  • Gooner61
    Gooner61 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Part of the Furniture First Post Combo Breaker

    I have haggled with Virgin Media over the monthly cost of broadband and phone but have only managed to cut down to £52.50 a month. When I check Martin's broadband deals there are no alternatives to Virgin. My broadband is 250Mb and phone ( which seldom works ) is weekend calls only. Looks like I'm stuck with it' Well done you for getting a great deal

  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 1,639 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Try some of the individual big ISPs rather than just rely on the MSE site.

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,851 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    When I check Martin's broadband deals there are no alternatives to Virgin.

    That's unusual. Did you tick the "show slower but more expensive" box? (It's not quite those words but that's the gist.)

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.