We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
EV but no driveway: Is this a foolish idea?
Comments
-
I’d like an EV and, although I can charge at home, it’s only from a 3 pin plug in my garage, as I’m due to retire in a few weeks I would only then be using it for local commuting and longer distances when we go on holiday, ( Scotland or Cornwall for example) my worry is that it’d cost more to charge than it costs in fuel for my self charging hybrid where I regularly see fuel consumption in the mid to high sixties especially when we do travel longer distances…
0 -
Do a Total Cost of Ownership analysis. An EV would probably be cheaper on fuel, but because it sounds like you do quite few miles per year, that saving will probably not be made up by the cost of changing the vehicle. Also factor in away-from-home charging on the longer trips.
0 -
Based upon £7.15 a gallon locally our Zoe is currently enjoying over 450 miles to the equivalent cost of a gallon.
Even a recent trip to London from Scotland - because we don’t leave the house on 0% charge and we use Tesla superchargers and lower cost AC destination charging - cost us the equivalent of over 100mpg overall.
We don’t get anywhere near 100mpg with our “self charging” hybrid.
0 -
Hi All, thank you so much for your informative replies. It’s good to know the idea makes some sense. I’m still undecided but only because I don’t fell brave enough to be the first one with an EV on a terraced street. I also want to talk to my workplace about their long term plans for EV chargers (ie, whether they’re planning to keep it free for the foreseeable, etc).
Any further comments will be most welcome while I think about the next steps.Thanks again
1 -
Most local authorities don’t allow kerbo. See map in link above.
No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?0 -
Free charging at work is the key here. Worst-case - if you ended up topping up by my suggested 23kWh at a DC fast charger for 80p a kWh - that would be £18.40 a week. For 300 miles. With plenty of buffer for the Winter.
The equivalent of 117 miles per gallon if you're paying £7.15 a gallon.
Or 6.1p per mile.
1 -
My daughter had free workplace charging.
Until the people with no EV vehicles complained about them getting a freebie.
So they had to start imposing a charge.
1 -
If I couldn’t charge at home I would get a Tesla and make use of the super charger network as it is considerably cheaper than the other rapid chargers. It would still work out cheaper than petrol or diesel even if you couldn’t use destination chargers.
0 -
OP, are the work place chargers there specifically to charge employee cars, or are they for work vans and/or company cars? There may be some tax implications, and as Greyteam says, none EV drivers might rock the boat because some people are just that way inclined. I work in public sector and they initially allowed people to charge their private vehicles at work, but knocked that on the head a couple of years ago citing 'tax reasons', which is almost certainly not why they stopped it. Might be worth exploring the longevity of the workplace chargers.
0 -
There are not (currently) an tax implications of free workplace charging. It is not treated the same as a fuel card for petrol or diesel.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
