We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PureTech nightmare
We bought a Citreon with a 1.2 puretech engine from a dealer last July (if only I'd known!). 2018 plate, has done 56000 miles now.
Fast forward to this year and it seemed to start using a lot of oil. I asked my garage to check it when it went in for a service and they couldn't see an issue. We kept an eye on it.
A mth later I took it back. They booked it in, still couldn't see anything, stuck a cleaning additive in and told us to give it a couple of weeks. One week later it broke down and it now needs a new engine. Our garage said the piston rings are sticking, the Citreon approved garage said there are cylinder misfires (P030294 and P1348) and low compression issues - cylinder 1- 140psi, Cylinder 2- 80 psi and cylinder 3 165 psi.
I'm now locked in a battle with Citreon. I thought we'd be covered by the extended warranty scheme Stellantis set up after all the issues they had with these engines, but they're claiming it's a wetbelt issue and saying as we didn't change it at 6 yrs tough luck.
I'm pushing back as neither garage have raised any issues with the wet belt. Plus they changed the guidance on wet belt replacements from 10yrs/100k+ miles to 6yrs/62kmiles after the cars were initially sold and as we didn't own it from new or at 6 yrs we had no reasonable way of knowing this had changed. The car has a full service history, we investigated the oil consumption issues promptly and trusted the expert opinion of our garage (although I am wondering about that too). When I asked how to escalate yesterday Citreon just told me to go to the motoring ombudsman- helpful!
Does anyone have any advice? Or has anyone else had any joy from Citreon re these engines? It's so stressful. We've been without the car for weeks and have disabled children so it's putting a lot of pressure on getting everyone where they need to be being down to just one car.
Comments
-
When you look at your symptoms it would suggest that the wet belt was not the issue. However I understand there is a mesh in the engine where the oil is picked up and if the wet belt starts breaking down the mesh can become blocked and reduce the flow of oil.
Not 100% how consumer rights may help from the dealer that you purchased the car but there are other people on the forum who may be able to advise further.
Good Luck
0 -
So when did you buy the car & what mileage?
Life in the slow lane0 -
yes I'm a bit unsure of how best to proceed, if I can get Citreon to pay up that seems easier. But have considered if I could try the CRA as there's known manufacturing faults with these engines
0 -
bought in July 25 at around 46,000 miles. Was Serviced in March 26 by us.
0 -
Citroen are not going to pay anything. For the CRA to be applicable you would need to demonstrate that the fault was present at the point of purchase and that it was an actual fault, not a result of lack of maintenance in that period, wrong oil used, filters not changed etc. and that needs to be an independent inspection from a suitable person/business. You cannot claim just because something you bought failed after a year of usage.
0 -
Do you have direct experience of the extended warranty scheme for the known issues with PureTech engines @MattMattMattUK ?
0 -
it’s due to the use of ultra low tension piston rings, in an effort to chase the last 0.1% of efficiency from the engine. No experience of the extended warranty scheme but I suspect they’ll wriggle out of it.
1 -
If sold with a full service history and this was after Citroen had changed the wet belt change requirements then ask the dealer who sold it to you whether they had checked it had been done.
You should have also done your research at the time.
As it stands I cannot see the manufacturer making any contribution as the vehicle hasn't been correctly serviced prior to you purchasing it and the wet belt wasn't changed when you had it serviced.0 -
I did a lot of research but not into that specific engine type, just c4s in general. Lesson learnt there!
We didn't know the guidance had been revised or I absolutely would have had it changed. If it's not actually a wetbelt issue anyway it feels somewhat unfair, but I suppose it is what it is.
The piston rings are also covered by the extended warranty but it seems they may use use the wetbelt not being replaced to deny any repair anyway.
would it make any difference if the dealer said they hadn't checked?0 -
So 12 ,000 miles covered & home serviced. So no actual invoice stating correct parts used.
Life in the slow lane0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards