We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Solar panels in Scotland - worth it?
Comments
-
So the panels have been in for about a week now, and we haven't drawn any power from the grid at all. We've put some into the grid* once the batteries are full, and we seem to only use about 30% of the battery overnight. I expect that'll change over the winter but with careful planning on high powered stuff like tumble drier we can minimise it.
The Hanchu app seems pretty good and I'm doing my best to not obsess over it.
I'm still debating tariffs, but leaning towards one with an off-peak rate where we'll top up the battery on the cheap overnight rate or excess solar. That'll probably give us the most savings as long as we avoid getting punished for peak usage.
*There's some delay with the DRO so I'm not set up with an export tariff, so I'm expecting any energy sent back to the grid is just gone. We're talking about £1/day at most so it's not a big deal all in but annoying all the same.1 -
If you're not on a SEG and want to minimise export, you could always run your immersion heater for an hour or so ? Or indeed any other heavy user that wouldn't be just wasted.
As for tariff, if you have an EV that would get you the very best off-peak rates (I uses Octopus Intelligent Go); if not you might consider buying a pre-2017 EV -limited range but very low VED and could be low priced.NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq51 -
We've currently got a combi boiler and diesel car, so off/peak tariffs would just be around cheap general consumption.
When car and boiler are due replacement we'll probably move to EV and heat pump but that's hopefully years away.0 -
Good to hear your install has gone well.
Even though no EV or heat pump at present it would still be worth investigating a TOU tarrif. There are some that you can get that do not require an EV ( even one sold as an EV tariff I think ) so that can be financially beneficial even for normal consumption and a greater opportunity to export more energy.
1 -
Thanks, I'll look into the options once set up.
Does anyone know how long the DNO approval usually takes? I've been told that there are delays with it, but it's been 2 weeks now and I'm starting to worry that the installer has messed something up. I was told it was a rubber stamp effort as the export rating is so low (6kWp, which seems to top out about 4.6kW in reality).
Can I apply myself too or will that cause more complications?0 -
Your installer should already have DNO approval (an offer to connect) - the installer cannot physically connect equipment above 3.6kW to the grid without prior approval.
Once the offer to connect was given, the installer normally has 3 months to install and notify the DNO that they have completed the installation, at which point the DNO will issue the letter you require to provide to your electricity provider as proof.
You can call the DNO and enquire what the issue / delay is. They should be able to issue the paperwork immediately as all the approval work has already been done.
I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.0 -
Any input regarding solar and battery suppliers and installers in the central belt/Stirling area most welcome. Have a good idea of what I want but some of the prices I've been quoted vary significantly, i.e. with the largest being almost 50% more. Any advice on Company longevity, after sales or 'active monitoring' greatly appreciated.
0 -
Welcome to the forum!
Any input regarding solar and battery suppliers and installers in the central belt/Stirling area most welcome.
I can't directly answer your question but I'd suggest getting a quote from your energy company (and/or some of the others - EON, EDF, BG, Octopus, SP etc. all offer solar panels) even if it's just to give you a benchmark you can measure other suppliers' quotes against.
Any advice on Company longevity, after sales or 'active monitoring' greatly appreciated.
Because interest in solar PV ebbs and flows (we're currently experiencing a tidal surge) you'll find that business also come and go with it. Any installer that isn't a complete cowboy should be MCS accredited, offering an insurance-backed warranty to give you some guarantee that even if they go bust you won't be overly inconvenienced.
Edit:
some of the prices I've been quoted vary significantly, i.e. with the largest being almost 50% more
If you want to share the quotes you have received here, we can give you some feedback.
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Ecoflow Stream, Best kettle :-)
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.0 -
What stage have you actually reached with the DNO? Assuming more than 3.6kW (strictly 16A) the sequence should be ..
- Enquiry to DNO
- DNO makes G99 "offer"
- Installer accepts the offer
- Installation can now go ahead
- After installation, installer provides details to the DNO
- DNO replies confirming the installation complies
That last one is what the supplier needs, along with MCS certificate, to set up export tariff.
0 -
I got the DNO back a couple of weeks ago and have the export tariff up and running. I seem to be making about enough to cover the standing charge but that'll plummet as we get into winter.
Curiously the numbers on my Hanchu app differ from the Octopus portal by a tiny amount, but not enough to care about.
Your understanding matches mine; under 3.6kW you can install and then notify, above that you need permission before installing.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
