We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Eye sight
Comments
-
The OP does not say if they also had new glasses. Some years ago I had problems when I got new glasses. Went back to the opticions and turned out a number had been transposed. remade glasses and problem solved
0 -
No new glasses, I generally wear thin reading glasses so that I can see my satnav clearer, but I may ditch those and wear driving glasses or varifocals.
0 -
????
You shouldn't be wearing reading glasses for driving so you can see your "satnav clearer"
The satnav is the least important thing you should be looking at.
If your long distance vision isn't good enough you need to be wearing distance lenses that let you focus 500m or more up the road. Not lenses that magnify something about two feet away from you…
2 -
I can read a number plate from 20m, I don't need glasses for driving, I had my eyes tested at the opticians.
0 -
So you haven't been following various threads on here about eyesight and driving.
When did you last have your peripheral vision checked?
That is another driving requirement. See Driving eyesight rules - GOV.UK -
"Standards of vision for driving
You must be able to read a number plate from 20 meters away (about the length of 5 parked cars). You can wear your glasses or contact lenses if you use them for driving.
You must also meet the minimum eyesight standard for driving by having a visual acuity of at least decimal 0.5 (6/12) measured on the Snellen scale (with glasses or contact lenses, if necessary) using both eyes together or, if you have sight in one eye only, in that eye.
You must also have an adequate field of vision - your optician can tell you about this and do a test."
Note the last sentence I've put in bold. Did your optician test it? According to previous threads on here not all opticians automatically do.
Regardless of all that you should not be driving using reading glasses which allow you to read your satnav.
If your eyesight is OK to drive unaided (as per the rules above) you shouldn't be wearing reading glasses at all while driving
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards