We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Eye sight

Baldytyke88
Baldytyke88 Posts: 1,165 Forumite
1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
edited 10 June at 1:16PM in Motoring

A few weeks ago, I had blurred vision, like distortion. It has happened a couple of times, it lasted for maybe 10/15 minutes. I had my eyes tested the previous week.

It is a little worrying that it could happen whilst I am driving, although I can still see reasonably well.

Has anyone experienced this?

«1

Comments

  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,780 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Do you wear (varifocal) glasses? If they are new, adjusting to the grading can take time.

    You probably need to visit the GP as the cause might be outside the eye. If a return to the Opticians is required, the GP will be able to advise.

  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Sounds like migraine with aura

    https://migrainetrust.org/understand-migraine/types-of-migraine/migraine-with-aura/

    Things that are different: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid


  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,495 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 10 June at 1:56PM

    As no one can offer medical advise here on MSE I suggest you either return to the optician and explain what's happening or go to your GP.

    However just as an aside, I agree with oldernonethewiser, and it might be worth actually asking the GP or optician about that specifically. I had similar a few years ago and it was quite frightening.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,780 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    The OP must speak with the GP with an open mind. I could mention several things that it might be - both my wife and I have experienced similar at different times and with different causes and not the one that has been suggested. I expressly avoided mentioning possible causes because of the importance of proper medical comments and not online guess work.

  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I agree it could be many things. Only reason I mentioned what I did in a previous post was it sounded very similar to what I have experienced over a number of years.

    Neither my GP not optician unduly bothered but the OP should get a qualified opinion.

    Things that are different: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid


  • Baldytyke88
    Baldytyke88 Posts: 1,165 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Yes, I did think of that. I don't generally get headaches, so it is worrying for me.

    I have some varifocals, but I rarely wear them, I generally just use reading glasses.

  • Okell
    Okell Posts: 3,931 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    From personal experience I;d suggest you go back to your optician first rather than a GP. If you require further investigation because of a possible underlying medical condition the optitican should refer you directly to appropriate NHS secondary care.

    I suffer from a particularly annoying eye condition which requires emergency medical treatment every time it flares up. (In fact I had to attend my eye casualty clinic with a flare up yesterday).

    I'm able to self-refer but after Covid they would only accept referrals from opticians and not GPs.

    I saw my GP about it once and they told me to see an optician(!).

  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I don't get headaches but get some of the other effects.

    Things that are different: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid


  • facade
    facade Posts: 8,193 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    As others have said, get it diagnosed, but it sounds very similar to my experience.

    I would start to be unable to read, not so much blurred as slightly moving in my centre of vision. If I took a paracetamol (as recommended by my GP) as soon as it started and sat with my eyes closed for 10 minutes it would pass, otherwise it would slowly develop into a full aura with coloured zigzag lines- really weird, like looking at those brightly coloured children's construction sets, then I couldn't function and would have to lie down. I never had any headaches with it, just photo sensitivity and visual aberrations.

    Until it happens (or you try hallucinogens I suppose) you won't believe that you can just "see" objects like that

    I removed caffeine and cheese completely from my diet and I haven't had an incident for well over 6 years (but I'll probably have another tomorrow now I've said that 🙄 )

    As I said, my GP was happy just from my description that it was migraine and said to take a paracetamol and rest until it passes. (So much for 21st century medicine! I ended up researching online myself and cutting out various foods until I found that it was most likely triggered by caffeine- cutting out cheese as well is good for my cholesterol…)

    I still keep a pack of paracetamol in the glovebox of my car- just in case it happens again when I am out.

    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

    (except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,304 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper

    Cheese caused my son to have migraine .He could eat vegetarian cheese.


    mine was caused by Galaxy chocolate.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.