We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Storing a Will with HMCTS - do I need to ring bind the Will ?
Comments
-
my brother, sister and their siblings
Aren't your brother and sister's siblings also your siblings?
1 -
I seem to recall being taught how to sew a will together. That was a long time ago and I don't think I could do it now. A ring binder is definitely not a good idea. Far too easy to remove a page and substitute a new one. But any form of binding can always be removed and replaced - of course initialling each page might help (the would be forger would have to try to match the initials and the ink used).
0 -
In case it’s not too late for responses, my mum’s Will was also advised to be bound as per photo attached to avoid potential stapling problems causing scrutiny that could possibly cause delays with probate. So she had it printed and bound as per photo before signing.
I was flabbergasted that doing the online probate the documents were sent to HMCTS at the beginning of the week and probate was granted by the end of the week!
It was stored with a local will document storage for £25 and registered with the National will register for £30.1 -
In case it’s not too late for responses, my mum’s Will was also advised to be bound as per photo attached to avoid potential stapling problems causing scrutiny that could possibly cause delays with probate.
Comb binding is really easy to undo, tamper with and and replace without leaving any evidence. I'm surprised it's acceptable.
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.0 -
That's a bit OTT for fees.
The fee for HMCTS storage is £23, per envelope - and you can have a will + codicil (and I expect other documents) in the same envelope if you want
1 -
- My will goes to
- my daughterher children (if she has any)
- if my daughter (or her children) are not around then it is split between to my brother, sister and their siblings
- You mean your estate, not your "will".
- If your daughter is still alive at the time of your death but has (say) two children do you want your estate to go to your daughter or your daughter and her children? If it is the latter, how would it be split between the three of them?
- As previously stated, the siblings of your brother and sister are your brothers and sisters and yourself
If you write a will yourself, you do need to use very precise language that leaves no room for ambiguity. Given how imprecise and ambiguous the language you used above is, I think you should engage a professional to write your will for you,
Reed1 - My will goes to
-
Not if your siblings are your half siblings and they have half siblings from their other parent.
I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.0 -
I think in this situation it would probably be best to state my siblings, Bob, Sue, and Joe... To avoid confusion as to whom you're leaving the money to.
I do hope the OP has sought out a solicitor for this drafting, I think the will might be a nightmare for the executors otherwise.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards





