We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Hotel holding card details
Hi I hope I've put this in the correct place, we are going on a couple of holidays abroad this year and will be booking package holidays paid before we go, but a couple of the hotels state they will will require card details on arrival, I understand why they do but we don't own a credit card only a debit card to our main account which obviously I'm reluctant to use , we have a travel card from hays travel but was told this cannot be used for hotels to place on hold . What's the best way around this please .thank you
Comments
-
Getting a credit card would be the easiest solution.
Is there a particular reason why this isn't an option for you?
2 -
A Hays Travel card is essentially a prepaid debit card so doesn't meet the credit card requirements.
I doubt there is an easy way around this - perhaps your package holiday provider could advise on hotels that don't require a credit card registered.
We regularly use a RUI hotel in Spain and they have never asked for such - might be a standard policy if it's part of a group chain of hotels ?
1 -
We have just never had one , I'm not even sure how to get one or what I would look for
0 -
Have a look at the MSE bit on cards for what's available. You might want to look for something that has a "no foreign transaction fee" so you are not too restricted when you are holidaying out of the UK.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK
"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.” Nellie McClung
⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅3 -
Thank you I will do
0 -
I can't see the halifax clarity credit card on that best buy list (although is is showing on the fee free list), which has always been fine for me abroad and has no transaction fees.
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.
Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.1 -
Thank you .
0 -
Most hotels will accept a debit card for the security hold, but just be aware that the amount they ring-fence won't be available to spend until it's released. It might be worth contacting the hotels directly before you travel to ask exactly what they require and how much the hold is. If you're worried about using your main account, some people use a separate bank account with a small balance just for travel expenses.
1 -
Thank you a separate account might be the way for us .
0 -
Always good to have more than one means of payment when you’re abroad, ideally one on MasterCard and one on Visa.
I also have a Starling account ( not a current account) which I can use to pay either via an app on my phone or with a physical card which you can also use to pay or to get money out of cashpoints abroad if needed it. Again, free free although local cash points may charge their own fee - no way round that one.
There are other similar ones, monzo for example, and these are debit cards rather than credit cards. Don’t ever use a credit card to get money out of the cashpoint, it costs a fortune.
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.
Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.2
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


