We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
SORN'd car parked outside
Comments
-
But is it likely that a 22-year-old Mazda has been stolen?
0 -
When reported the DVLA contact the registered keeper, who has 28 days to reply.
If no reply they can clamp the car . The notice gives details of required action. Tax it within 24 hours or it gets seized, which will mean a release fee to get it back.
DVLA did a routine sweep in the streets around here and several cars were clamped. clClamos were removed from all but one the next day.
That one was taken away.
While it won’t happen instantly the car is sitting there anyway, so no difference for a few weeks.
1 -
Woukd the owner of a stolen car not report it to the police. Do the police go out looking for 22 year old cars that are missing?
0 -
I would hope that they are looking for all cars that are missing, it is just a flag on the ANPR database against that reg.
I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....
(except air quality and Medical Science
)1 -
I'd have thought they weren't much harder to steal than a "new" car, and more likely to be abandoned somewhere quiet rather than straight onto a container ship for export or rendered down for parts in a chop shop
You never know what people will steal……
It was just a thought, most people know the penalty for parking a SORN'd car on the road is way more than a simple untaxed one, so there is no point SORNing a car you intend to keep using when the tax runs out.
I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....
(except air quality and Medical Science
)0 -
Are you sure about that? Isn't the offence the same - "keeping or using an unlicensed vehicle" - whether or not it is SORNed?
[Vehicle and Excise Registration Act 1994, s29 & 30]
0 -
"What I don't understand is that it's MOT'd up until 14 May 2027. And
what looks like the MOT is on the passenger seat. Why MOT it and SORN
it, but leave it on some random street?"
How far away are you from the garage that did the MOT? Have they just stored it off-site and didn't realize it was SORN?
If I remember correctly someone got caught out with that recently, though I don't know what the outcome was in the end.
It's unlikely someone would spend the money required to get it through an MOT to then just abandon it.0 -
How likely is it a 22-year-old Mazda would have a tracker?
I'd have thought if you were going to steal it you'd at most change the plates and just use it until it gets found.0 -
The "fine" (out of Court settlement) from DVLA is more if the car is SORN, because it is an even more wicked crime if you declare it SORN than if you just don't interact with them at all.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vehicle-enforcement-policy/dvla-enforcement-of-vehicle-tax-registration-and-insurance-offences
I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....
(except air quality and Medical Science
)0 -
Unlikely, (I didn't do the sums on the dates), more likely just parked at the end of the trip if it is stolen.
I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....
(except air quality and Medical Science
)0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards