We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Barclaycard Money Transfer
I have Barclaycard with a current Money Transfer offer, can I do a money transfer then use card to make a purchase and then use the money transfer as funds to pay off that purchase or would that be against the terms of use
Comments
-
Once the funds have been moved from the card account to your nominated account you are free to use them any way you like.
You would obviously have to have sufficient credit available under your limit on the card after the transfer to make your purchase.
What's the reason for the convoluted purchase/repayment?
0 -
Thanks for reply, yes sufficient funds for both money transfer & purchase, suppose I wanted cc protection but having thought about it now it’s probably easier to just do a bank transfer for purchase.
0 -
I'd use the card as you had planned for the protection. And set the card to pay in full by DD. But don't do the MT as you'll be charged a fee (I assume)
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK
"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.” Nellie McClung
⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅0 -
Why the convoluted plan to get a money transfer and then pay it off?
If you pay with bank transfer you won't get any chargeback or S75 rights, even if the funds orignated from a credit card.0 -
Not a convoluted plan, want to make a £7000 purchase so was going to do a money transfer which is available to pay back over 22 months interest free just the 2.9% fee then make the purchase with the same card then use the money transfer cash to pay back the purchase cost leaving the money transfer to pay back interest free over the 22 months
0 -
Have you got the £14k+ limit you would need?
Let's Be Careful Out There0 -
Yes I do have more then this
0 -
What about the usual advice about not mixing spend and transfers on the same card?
Or is that only applicable to balance transfer cards?
Can't help thinking that the OP's suggested purchase plan just seems, er clunky?
0 -
I wanted cc protection but having thought about it now it’s probably easier to just do a bank transfer for purchase
You get NO CC protection with a money tranfer
Life in the slow lane0 -
You can mix and match spending and balance transfers with a Barclaycard without paying interest, assuming anything not at 0% is fully paid off before the due date.
I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


