We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Not entitled to tuition fee loan

Many thanks for looking at this thread. The government will finance me to do my degree by offering me a generous maintenance loan. Unfortunately I am not entitled to tuition fee loans as I have studied before. I am looking for ideas regarding how I can finance the £9,790 rising by 2.68% per annum. I was ill during my first degree and am very keen on reading for another degree to improve my prospects. I welcome any advice or suggestions. I have contacted my University who tell me to speak to SFE. But it seems I have already exhausted the appeals process with SFE.

«1

Comments

  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 13,098 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper

    What degree do you have and what degree are you thinking of studying? Was your illness one where a charity might have a "getting back on your feet" style grant?

  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 7,543 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Have you thought about studying with the OU? You may be able to get credits for past study, and you could pay for modules individually, rather than tuition up front.

  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Did you complete and pass your degree? If you did then there is no chance of appeal.

    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Notuitionloan
    Notuitionloan Posts: 7 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    Thank you to the three who have left comments so soon after my first comment on this thread. I did pass my degree. And I realise there is no chance of appealing the decision of the SFE.

    I have considered the OU, but I wish to read Philosophy and I prefer the course at my chosen Uni. OU only has limited availability of philosophy modules. At the OU you combine it with other things.

    My illness was M.E. 🙂

  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 7,543 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    What do you aim to achieve with another bachelors degree? If you have an degree, why not a Masters?

    Is it that you want a better classification i.e. a first or a 2:1 rather than a 2:2 or a third? Is that worth ~£30k?

    I could understand if the new degree helped with switching careers, but I don't think philosophy will do that??

  • Notuitionloan
    Notuitionloan Posts: 7 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    i wish to teach.

  • Notuitionloan
    Notuitionloan Posts: 7 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    FE college, teaching

  • Jemma01
    Jemma01 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    What are you doing right now? Are you able to save any money to avoid loans? If not working, can you focus on that for a year to save up the 10k? Are you living at home with parents or renting? Tell us a bit more about yourself, your income, your expenses, etc.

    How much is the maintenance loan? By the end of the degree, how much debt will it be?

    I'm FTB, not an expert, all my comments are from personal experience and not a professional advice.
    Mortgage debt start date 11/2024 = 175k (5.19%)... Q1/2026 = PAID (3.94%)
  • Notuitionloan
    Notuitionloan Posts: 7 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    Thank you, I am renting and plan to commute to my chosen uni. I will ask my Father to cover the fees, as he has some assets and investments. I will be getting the maximum maintenance loan (London rates)

  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 7,543 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    If you have a degree already, have you looked at whether you can move to doing that now with on the job training?

    https://www.teachinfurthereducation.education.gov.uk/

    Or is it that you want to specifically teach philosophy?

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.