We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Vodafone Entertainment Pack - YouTube Premium gone
For about the last 7 or 8 years I've had a mobile contract with Vodafone, primarily because they have offered YouTube Premium as an optional 'Entertainment Pack' on some of their contracts. I use YouTube very regularly, every day.
My current mobile contract expires on 28th August. I noticed today that I've started seeing Ads on YouTube, which obviously made me wonder what was going on. Tried logging out and back in - still seeing ads.
Long story short - I've spoken to Vodafone and been informed that as of 28th May (yesterday) they no longer provide YouTube premium as an option. They now only offer Disney+ or Prime, neither of which I'm interested in.
I was never informed in advance that this was happening, I naturally assumed that as YouTube was included in my contract then that would last the length of the contract. I'm in no doubt that somewhere in the small print Vodafone will state that they have the right to change add-on packs at any time and that I can't do anything about it, but this is a terrible way to treat customers - to not even inform them that an integral part of their contract is changing/has changed. My contract is more expensive than it would otherwise need to have been - purely because I wanted the one that included YouTube, so this is incredibly frustrating.
I'll be moving away from Vodafone because of this when my contract is up, but just wanted to make the above known in case it affects anyone else.
Comments
-
I'm in no doubt that somewhere in the small print Vodafone will state that they have the right to change add-on packs at any time and that I can't do anything about it, but this is a terrible way to treat customers - to not even inform them that an integral part of their contract is changing/has changed.
I wouldn't assume that small print exists - nothing I can see in what seem to be the relevant Terms
That YouTube Premium add-on has a value of £12.99/mth, are Vodafone reducing your monthly charge by this amount?
Poor service from Voda, the very least to be expected would be some notice.
0 -
I've drafted a complaint letter to send by snail mail - am not wasting any time on phone calls. Let's see if I get a response.
Of course they're not reducing my monthly charge! Am absolutely fuming about this and will never use them again.
0 -
Think the key phrase may be "Availability of the Entertainment Packages may vary".
That being said this Reddit post - https://www.reddit.com/r/Vodafone/comments/1mqryw2/youtube_premium/ - suggests Vodafone dropped YouTube Premium last year but the website suggests it is still available, unless its become one of those "for new customers only" thing.Banging on at them through Live Chat seems to be the conclusion from Reddit to get it reinstated.
0 -
I just checked it again and it now seems to have been reinstated!
I suspect they are no longer offering to new customers but had mistakenly switched off mine and possibly others existing accounts. I imagine I won’t be able to get it again when my contract is due for renewal but we shall see.
Clearly the guy on the help line had no idea whatsoever what was going on.
The problem with having YT Premium is once you’ve had it it’s impossible to imagine not having it!
2 -
I have moved away from Vodafone mainly as they have turned the billing system into a complete nightmare.
I went to Lebara uses Vodafone signal and is £7.99 . Not all the premium services, but just works.
0 -
The problem with having YT Premium is once you’ve had it it’s impossible to imagine not having it!
If the problem is avoiding ads, adblockers exist.
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Ecoflow Stream, Best kettle :-)
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.0 -
Vodafone dropped YouTube and Spotify from the entertainment packages, but said it would run out to the end of any existing contracts. You might just have got caught in a glitch when they were removing them from the system for new sign ups.
0 -
Unfortunately, YouTube detects adblockers and then disables accounts.
But anyway, there's far more to YouTube Premium than 'no-ads'.
0 -
You could look up morphe YouTube or use brave browser to block ads
0 -
Don't log in youtube, use a browser. I use opera browser
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

