We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Stressed and scared

2

Comments

  • PennysIntoPounds
    PennysIntoPounds Posts: 7,406 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Maybe contact StepChange or a similar organisation to talk things through with them and perhaps get a better idea of what likely outcomes /routes are available.

    If at the end of the day, a large chunk of debt gets paid off then that's a good outcome and if you have to say to family 'just to let you know, sorry there's no inheritance, I got a walloping great bill from HMRC, so thank you to my Dad for helping with that!' then that is absolutely fine, it's no-one else's business and certainly no-one else's inheritance

  • beeteecee
    beeteecee Posts: 106 Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    This sounds like a rational way to approach it - thank you so much. I have spoken to businessdebtline previously so I will contact them again.

    I'm worried about being made bankrupt (almost guaranteed) and everyone finding out because of this. It's a silly fear but I can't seem to get past it.

  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 101,265 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Mortgage-free Glee!

    There’s no need for anyone apart from your creditors to know that you go bankrupt. Keep plodding 🤗

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan. 13 months left.
  • beeteecee
    beeteecee Posts: 106 Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Thank you 🩷 I'm scared of the inevitable questions when my dad's estate is settled but it is really no one's business.

  • PennysIntoPounds
    PennysIntoPounds Posts: 7,406 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Good plan 👍

    Hopefully they will be able to give you a clearer picture on whether you will be made bankrupt now you're getting the amount you're likely to get, and there might be options to put it off or negotiate if there's some money available to pay back once probate has cleared.

    But there are people on here who would advise that in some situations it can be better to go bankrupt rather than struggle so much, so make sure to check for advice before making any major decisions, and don't see it as the worst thing that can happen

    It's completely normal to feel upset at the thought of people knowing your private business but nothing you've said points towards that happening other than close people might ask about your inheritance, in which case as I said just smile and roll your eyes and say 'HMRC', if there's one thing everyone understands it's 'HMRC' and an eye roll!

  • beeteecee
    beeteecee Posts: 106 Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Thank you for being so rational and level headed and understanding! All I can see is my mum's reaction if she finds out about my years of terrible financial stupidity. But I will try to refocus 🤞🏻

  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 101,265 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Mortgage-free Glee!

    There’s no need for her to know unless you choose to tell her. All she needs to know is that you owed HMRC 🤗

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan. 13 months left.
  • Jemma01
    Jemma01 Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Oh babe I felt the stress in your post. What your family inherits after you pass is your least concern, no one is entitled to any inheritance in the first place, if something is there great, if not, oh well. Don't let these thoughts get to you, they'll bring you down for nothing. Just focus on how you can move forward. I don't have context of your situation, but I do hope it resolves the way you hope 😔

    I'm FTB, not an expert, all my comments are from personal experience and not a professional advice.
    Mortgage debt start date 11/2024 = 175k (5.19%)... Q1/2026 = PAID (3.94%)
  • beeteecee
    beeteecee Posts: 106 Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Thank you 🩷, honestly I can imagine any positive outcomes but there will surely be an end point at some point. I should be brave enough to take control 😬

  • beeteecee
    beeteecee Posts: 106 Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    My car has now also given up today and things keep getting worse. If I were able t get finance for another vehicle it's going to look terrible when bankruptcy happens isn't it…My mother is offering a loan but she cannot find out about the bankruptcy so I can't do that, the idea of her knowing is too much on top of everything, I just can't cope.
    I feel like everything is just getting worse by the day. I need to be able to drive for my youngest child to get to school safely as they have to attend a SEN school…I'm doing nothing about my debts at all…heard nothing from anyone since IVA failed & new HMRC debt is growing too, I can't sort it out and I don't know what to do…I'm so stuck.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.