We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Stressed and scared

beeteecee
beeteecee Posts: 106 Forumite
100 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
edited 29 May at 2:17PM in Bankruptcy & living with it

Hello,

My IVA officially failed on 04/03/26.

My dad died this week.

My dad's 'estate' if such a thing exists will be a sizeable amount but it won't be enough to clear my debts.

I don't know what I should do. I am hoping to go bankrupt soon but if I do…I imagine anything my dad leaves to me will be gone, nothing I can hand down to my children and everyone in my family will know about my financial situation and that feels worse than dying myself to be honest…I should be mourning my dad but I'm just terrified about what happens next.

This isn't about wanting fancy things or showing off wealth or anything, it's about feeling even more of a failure and just absolutely awful.

«13

Comments

  • MasterG83
    MasterG83 Posts: 813 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Hi, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, I lost mine in January after declining with Dementia. I still think about the nice memories and often sit and contemplate those, remembering those times.

    I would suggest you are not in a great position to make major financial decisions right now, experts recommend 6 months after losing a loved one before you can make sound judgements.

    Take a look at the debt boards, I would say right now that you need to ensure you have your four walls covered, so;

    Rent/Mortgage

    Utilities

    Council tax

    Food

    Any consumer debt you cant afford to pay, you could stop paying. Look at your options on the board stickies.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert. Please complete an SOA if you are looking for debt advice. Link here - https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Baby Step 6/7 . £20000 + saved and invested. £47,000 deposit paid on new home CONSUMER DEBT FREE !!!
  • Grumpelstiltskin
    Grumpelstiltskin Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    OK You have enough to worry about without worrying about the IVA.

    Would you be the only person to inherit if he didn't make a will or did he make a will and you are sure he has left everything to you?

    Nothing will happen fast because of your failed IVA it will take months for all the creditors to be informed so don't panic and don't do anything you may regret in the future.

    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 38,251 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    How will everyone in the family know about your financial situation if you choose not to tell them. It’s nobody’s business but your own.
    Looking over your earlier threads, the IVA failing has been on the cards for awhile now and nothing bad has happened.

    Take time to mourn your dad - it’s what you need.

    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

    Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.
  • beeteecee
    beeteecee Posts: 106 Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    i have significant HMRC debt and am so worried. I hate my head is worrying about this and not my dad. I should have sorted everything sooner.

  • beeteecee
    beeteecee Posts: 106 Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    No, not just me but there will likely be something. There is definitely a will somewhere but no information yet.

    Panic is definitely ftrying to take over!

  • beeteecee
    beeteecee Posts: 106 Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    So so sorry for your loss 🩷 and thank you for your comment. I'm worried I don't have 6 months but it's definitely not the time to make big decisions

  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 24,087 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier

    When an IVA fails, the creditors that come out of the woodwork are not necessarily the ones that went in as some firms specialise in buying insolvency debts. So i always recommend hanging on and considering settling at a discount - full & final settlement.

    Now HMRC won't play that game

    Do you have enough inheritance to pay that one off?

  • PennysIntoPounds
    PennysIntoPounds Posts: 7,406 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    I'm so sorry for your loss and all the stress and worry. I know it's easier said than done but try to take things one step at a time. Deal with the job that is in front of you, and right now that is giving yourself permission to grieve. Everything else will get sorted and in six months to a year you will be in a much better place, able to assess all the current unknowns. Hang in there and be kind to yourself x

  • beeteecee
    beeteecee Posts: 106 Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    no, it will be much smaller than the hMRC debt. Not sure at all of figures.

    I have had some letters from creditors which say the debt is settled which is a surprise. But not hmrc obviously.

  • beeteecee
    beeteecee Posts: 106 Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    thank you so much 🩷 it's scary because of the hmrc involvement. I hope I have some time though.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.