We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Repeated Kirbing of 18" alloys

PunkRoquefort
PunkRoquefort Posts: 150 Forumite
Third Anniversary 10 Posts

Am I alone, or are others here repeat offenders?

«1

Comments

  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 7,256 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    My previous car (2 series BMW) had low profile tyres and the nearside alloys were a mess, it was a lease car and I had get the alloys refurbished before sending it back. Current car (Qashqai) has no such issues, guess they are higher profile.

  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,772 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!

    there is a reason why some people keep kerbing their wheels

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,483 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Is that a question (with a typo) or a statement lacking a conclusion?

  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    It doesn't matter what diameter the wheels are, or what profile the tyres are.

    If you haven't mastered parking - then you're going to damage them

    Having said that some tyres have an extra 'rib' to give some extra protectection to the wheels.

  • subjecttocontract
    subjecttocontract Posts: 3,822 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I go out of my way not to kerb my alloys. Some of the damage I see would mean I wouldnt want to buy the car. I try not to park next to a kerb but in a car park or on a drive. There are some local car parks I won't use because it's very difficult to get around without damaging wheels.

  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,695 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Low profile tyres are not suitable for use on our roads at the moment. Or our roads are not suitable for using low profile tyres on, one or the other. I have no trouble with my big fat tyres.

    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 3,238 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Drive a proper 4x4, fit BF Goodrich Mud Terrain tyres which have chunky sidewalls, problem solved.

    Alternatively, park with 2 wheels on the pavement like many who in doing so, advertise their inability to park correctly.

  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    My car is fine 215/50/17, I try too miss curbs.

    The buses I drive are not so lucky, they have extra thick and high sidewalls.

    They rub along curbs and roundabouts just fine.

    We all look at new tyres and bet how long they take to get scuffed.

    First driver normally rubs the shine off them.

  • Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 2,615 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 29 May at 6:58AM

    I've had one or two hits on our street. There are some speed humps that taper to a gap before they meet the kerb.

    Once or twice I've felt the steering drag me into that gap when parking if I'm not all the ball with a firm grip on the wheel, causing a scrape. I try to avoid parking near them, but it's not always possible.

    The first time I did it I was fuming. I had a choice of option when I bought the car. A highway pack (a self steer cruise system that works at all speeds) or an automated parking system and I choose the wrong one.

    It might help if you adjust the nearside mirror a little downwards when reversing into a space against the kerb.

    Not all the way down, just enough so if you move your head up a little, you can see the kerb and wheel getting closer or hopefully not, coming together.

    Some higher end cars will drip the mirror themselves when reverse is selected for this very reason.

    But yes, generally cars with higher sidewall tyres tend to suffer less wheel curbing, though you can still scrub or nip the tyre sidewall badly.

    My other half's car doesn't kerb easily as the sidewalls are too high, but she's replaced a few nearside tyres with chunks out of them because they tend to nip and she tends to park using feel rather than sight!

  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 4,277 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    My rear offside wheel has some terrible scrapes and marks from after we moved house. Took me a while to master the approach to reversing into my new drive unfortunately. Not a roadside kerb, but the kerbing around the grass verge between the road and the pavement which I have to pass close to to get in to my drive at the right angle.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.