We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Problem changing Euro cylinder

2»

Comments

  • bjorn_toby_wilde
    bjorn_toby_wilde Posts: 1,159 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I snapped one in a fastener quite a few years back, hence my earlier comment. The rest of the set immediately went in the bin once I realised there was no way back from there.

  • rubble2
    rubble2 Posts: 613 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper

    Thanks for the responses so far. I think I will try the Torx bit method and see if I can shift it that way, failing that, given that I can easily remove the handles both sides I may go for the nuclear option and try lock snapping.

    I am sure there will be a 'helpful' video somewhere on line that will explain the process, but I will reserve that for 'when everything else fails' because at least as thing are the door is still secure using the original lock. If I try snapping and that for some reason doesn't work then I will have nowhere else to turn but to 'get someone in'

  • WIAWSNB
    WIAWSNB Posts: 3,713 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Have to say, the drilling a few mm into the centre of the screw head using a ~2mm bit is a neat addition, Grumpy.

    Rubble, don't WALLOP the bit in, but give it a series of firm blows, making sure the bit doesn't shift position each time. The screw head is malleable - as you've proven - so it should form quite nicely around the bit.

    Also, the blows will hopefully help to break whatever seal is making it awkward.

  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 11,745 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper

    Rubble, don't WALLOP the bit in,
    ...
    Also, the blows will hopefully help to break whatever seal is making it awkward.

    Yup, don't forget that just on the other side of the stile there are two large (=expensive) panes of glass, which are providing much of the rigidity of the door and therefore resistance to the [gentle hammer taps].

  • rubble2
    rubble2 Posts: 613 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper

    Thanks everyone for your help. Special mention to @Section62 and @grumpy_codger The Torx bit solution did the trick. One to remember for the future

  • WIAWSNB
    WIAWSNB Posts: 3,713 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Great result! 😁

    You can give the new screw a smear of grease, and nip it up firmly, but not 😜

  • bjorn_toby_wilde
    bjorn_toby_wilde Posts: 1,159 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Yes. Another great solution filed away in the memory. Thanks to both.

  • moneysaver
    moneysaver Posts: 851 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper

    It worked for me for £8, cheap solution. Not everyone has a tool to grind a slot in the head.

    Moneysaver

  • nokia1100
    nokia1100 Posts: 100 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I had exactly this problem on my (2 year old) conservatory outer slave door after I moved in last year. My brother loaned me his Aldi screw extractors. The srew was far too soft to hold any torque.

    My solution: tapping a nice sharp centre punch downwards from the 9 o'clock position loosened it.

    --Savings: 26/09/14 the day I reached 100k, 24/07/20 200k, 23/08/24 300k
    Completed on first house 2025 mortgage-free
    Student Loan paid off 03/07/24
    Savings £39k
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.