We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Is it even possible to haggle against BT's automated pricing?

2

Comments

  • superpang
    superpang Posts: 14
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Like I clarified in my previous post, they offered broadband for £44.99 + £5 for phone a few days ago. Today it’s £49.99 + £5 for phone. They were quite clear. The guy on the cancellations number said the figure on the system can change daily and that’s all they can offer.

  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,519
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I've been following this conversation as I may well be ditching BT and going down the VOIP route next month.

  • superpang
    superpang Posts: 14
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Thanks for the link. Complicated, isn't it?

    I think my best bet is to get a new third party router, check it works well with my LAN, sign up for a VoIP service and have the number transferred (which shouldn't be a problem as I'm out of contract). If everything works well I can then move provider.

    I use DECT phones with a repeater so it sounds like I'll need additional hardware to make that work with a different router as well. 🙄

    The good news is I recently moved my mobile network to Three, who seem to have put up a new mast in the last couple of years because I can finally get a good signal, meaning I can phase out the land line altogether.

  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 1,646
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Be aware that due to the authentication method Sky use, a 3rd party router may not work plugged into the ONT.

  • superpang
    superpang Posts: 14
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Oh for goodness sake! 😂🤦🏻‍♂️

    Thanks for the heads up.

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,943
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 27 May at 3:50PM

    I use DECT phones with a repeater so it sounds like I'll need additional hardware to make that work with a different router as well.

    Some routers have built-in DECT base stations, if that helps at all. I'm thinking of FritzBOX but there are probably others.

    Be aware that due to the authentication method Sky use, a 3rd party router may not work plugged into the ONT.

    But - you can probably plug your new router into the existing Sky one (using one or the other but not both for DHCP) in the interim. Get the Sky router to manage the connection and then handle everything else on the new one?

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Ecoflow Stream, Best kettle :-)
  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 1,646
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    They don't appear to have bought a 3rd party router yet so could just use the Sky router, plug a dect phone into that and perhaps hook a mesh sytem up, disabling the Sky router wifi.

  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 9,081
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    It is a pain in the proverbial to change over email and phone numbers - but worth it in the long run -

    ~ 2 years ago ,I moved away from my ISP email addy - took several hours and a lot of research to change over all my contacts and I still log in to the "old" email just to check that no-one important has slippd thru the net!.

    A year ago my wife cut through our phone line using the hedge trimmer ! so instead of paying Openreach for a repair ,with some trepidation, I made the leap to full fibre with no phone. (I'm with Plusnet)

    Again, quite a few hours transferring numbers across to mobiles, fortunately both our mobiles could use wifi calling ,so no need to set up VOIP with anyone. Also had to check all the important institutions like banks and the NHS ,to delete the old phone number of nearly 40 years.

    A few places eg Mastercard Secure code, still retains the landline number and I haven't managed to delete the number but have added the mobile nos.

  • Mr_Benn
    Mr_Benn Posts: 430
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Hope you dont mind me hyjacking this thread slightly, I just want to check if Im mis-reading it slightly.

    Im also with BT/EE for broadband and landline. We need the landline as our house alarm calls our mobiles if it gets triggered (thankfully not). I was looking at moving to Sky Broadband (due to cost - but maybe thats for another thread), but are you saying we wont be able to use the landline as we do now ? Thanks.

  • dnpark38
    dnpark38 Posts: 527
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I'm with Sky BB via Open Reach and my landline works.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.