We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Should I claim on my insurance?

Geoff_Mutton
Geoff_Mutton Posts: 10 Forumite
Part of the Furniture First Post Combo Breaker

Yesterday a noticed a scratch in the paintwork down both passenger side doors.
Clearly someone scraped against the car when it was parked and drove off.
Very annoying.

I’m trying to decide whether to claim on the insurance. I have fully comprehensive, but here's why I'm hesitant:

In January, I slid on ice at a junction (going about 5mph) and slowly slid into the opposite pavement. There was a bend in the main underframe of the car and the insurance company wrote the car off.

They classed it as me at fault and I now have on my insurance record that I was responsible for writing off my vehicle. I complained that it was simply an icy road and it was not possible to control the car, so I was not at fault.
They said as there was no other vehicle involved it could only be classed as my fault.

Obviously when I got my new (used) car, insuring it cost a fortune because my record shows that last year I wrote off a vehicle and it was my fault.

Now that some little scrote has scraped either his scooter or whatever against my car, I don’t know whether to claim and have insurance pay, or whether I should just swallow the cost myself and keep my premiums low.

I can’t prove I didn’t cause this new damage to my car and I’m afraid I might end up with even higher premiums next year.
But on the other hand, I’ve paid for fully comprehensive insurance. So maybe I should claim?

Can anyone advise me?

IMG_3708 2.jpg IMG_3707.jpg IMG_3706.jpg IMG_3701.jpg IMG_3700.jpg IMG_3699.jpg
"Nobody told me being a grown-up would involve quite so much admin..."
«1

Comments

  • Stubod
    Stubod Posts: 2,702 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I would pay for it myself and not get the insurance company involved …but that's just my opinion.

    .."It's everybody's fault but mine...."
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 7,256 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Claim and will be another "fault" claim, as there is no one else to recover the costs from. On top of that you would have to pay the excess.

  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 3,461 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic

    Much of that may well come out with a machine polish. Even if it doesn't, a repair bill is likely to be less than the loading on your next insurance quote, and those thereafter. Taking any excess into account, how to proceed should be a no-brainer.

    Never believe anything until it's officially denied.

  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,780 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Will that polish / t-cut out with a bit of elbow grease?

  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Depends on the age of the car, but definitely pay for it myself if it was me.

    OP, you are confusing 'at fault' with who has had to cough up. If your insurance has to pay for the write off or damage then it's an at fault claim no matter what or who caused the problem. At fault should be more like 'who's paying the bill'.

  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    It would be well worth paying a visit to a local "smart repair" / "chips-away" type outfit - there are loads of them around. I've used our local one a couple of times and they've been brilliant, and much cheaper overall than going through insurance, paying excess and having your premiums increase. If you let them have a look, they'll be able to give you a quote, then you can make your mind up from there.

  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 3,238 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I’ve had a dinted bonnet and a scuffed alloy repaired by mobile repairers, both achieved undetectable repairs. Obviously there are limitations, but for minor damage they are incredibly good.

  • facade
    facade Posts: 8,193 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    "At fault" doesn't mean that it was your fault, only that the insurance company couldn't get their money back off anyone.

    "none fault" means that they got their money back from someone. They can only get their money back off the person who caused the damage, so in this context "non fault" actually means "someone else’s fault, and they paid for the damage".

    Since you can't prove who did the damage, there is no-one for your insurance company to get their money from, so if you claim it will be "at fault" again.

    Really insurers ought to use unambiguous terms rather than behaving like Lewis Carroll's Humpty Dumpty.

    ‘When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’ Through The Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll.

    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

    (except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,240 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    It is the traditional definition but some insurers do deviate from it, several insurers do differently for things like vandalism, hit and run etc

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.