We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Selling on autotrader tips/experiences

brainiack
brainiack Posts: 69 Forumite
Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
edited 22 May at 3:58PM in Motoring

About to try listing a Ford Fiesta 9 years old on Autotrader. Car is freshly MOT'ed, FSH, and beyond a few minor scratches in places looks decent (in my opinion!).

Previously sold a more higher spec (albeit 6-7 years old) car on the site about 10 years ago, it went fairly well.

However, beyond the obvious making a good advert and photos etc, anything to watch out for? I'm a bit dubious of giving out my full address to total strangers - should I meet potential 'customers' on a nearby street before taking them to my actual address?

And for test drives, how common is it people actually ever get their own insurance to test drive? I'm absolutely not prepared to let any random take my car for a spin uninsured.

Do prices get knocked down a fair bit? Happy to negotiate slightly and expect it, with it baked into my asking price - how do negotiations usually go?

Sorry if any of this is naive, trying to get some real life tips and recent experiences, beyond the generic stuff all over the internet!

«1

Comments

  • chuffinnora
    chuffinnora Posts: 104 Forumite
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 22 May at 5:58PM

    It sounds like the kind of car that should be relatively easy to attract a buyer at the right price.

    Firstly as a buyer, no way would I be agreeing to meet away from the registered address. That would ring alarm bells, regardless of your intentions. I would want to see proof of ownership, be at that address, all FSH bills and previous MOT documents if you hold them. That at least gives some basic checking against clocking. I would also HPI it as a buyer. I usually get a HPI check anyway as a seller to give them some confidence.

    Again as a buyer, I would expect the seller to have added something into the price to allow a certain amount of negotiation.

    Most people will have existing insurance that covers driving your car, but ask for proof, and to see their license. Both parties have to check at the end of the day. I'd assume you'll be with them at the time of driving, so its just a case of checking they don't start doing silly stuff to it on a test drive. If they aren't insured then they can't drive it, you'd have to demo a drive on their behalf.

  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,695 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Bear in mid that if a purchaser drives it on their own insurance it will probably only be third party.

    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • brainiack
    brainiack Posts: 69 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    brilliant thanks for the tips, regarding the maintenance bills/invoices, happy to provide these but not so much for the buyer to take them - they contain my name, address and phone - can I give them redacted copies?

  • chuffinnora
    chuffinnora Posts: 104 Forumite
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    @brainiack Yeah I agree I wouldn't want to actually give them all those papers with personal details attached, but as a buyer they are going to want at least to see them and maybe take recent (or important major ones) documents. You could cut the details off if possible.

    Its not so much hiding your details from the buyer, as he will already know all that for a sale, but to stop them being passed on to the next owner.

    It's the kind of thing I've done with previous sales. Also I'm stating the obvious here but I wouldn't let the car go until cash is in my bank. Most people come prepared (i.e pad/laptop) to setup and do an immediate bank transfer. I also wouldn't trust cashier cheques or other methods such as paypal.

  • Arunmor
    Arunmor Posts: 918 Forumite
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Don't over price it.

  • WellKnownSid
    WellKnownSid Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    It seems to be an art on AT. A higher price will attract fewer enquiries most definitely. Lower prices seem to attract idiots and random out of the blue offers from wishful thinkers.

    "Hi, I'm phoning about the car you have advertised at £3,000, will you take a thousand for a quick sale, cash?"

    Literally had this last week.

  • brainiack
    brainiack Posts: 69 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    Thanks, yeah exactly this, happy to show original copies of receipts etc and will allow redacted copies to be taken. As I have no idea in future where/when/how they could be used against me or my personal details loitering around a long-sold car years later.

  • James2k
    James2k Posts: 357 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I take it you aren't in the phonebook then

  • LightFlare
    LightFlare Posts: 1,945 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    DOV ( drive other vehicle) is nowhere near as common as it used to be. Many people assume they have it only to find out the hard way that they don’t

    As mentioned l, it only covers for 3rd party anyway

    (Unless they have traders insurance or some other uncommon type)

  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 4,055 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Also check out the national and local car buying sites, sometimes it can be worth taking a couple of hundred less to avoid any hassle. You could also try local Facebook and other groups and the traditional card in the local shop.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.