We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

So far, a few issues. (Gettit?) Cough - Sofar ME3000 SP

13»

Comments

  • WIAWSNB
    WIAWSNB Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 3 June at 2:16PM

    Sooo, I'll stick with what I have at the mo', but wish to understand what the manual 'default' battery settings mean, please.

    I have the parameters of the M48112-S, and I have the 'Default' parameters to be set. I understand;

    1. Battery Type - 'Default'
    2. Battery Capacity - 112Ah (just one battery at the mo')
    3. Discharge Depth - 80% (will go up to 90% later)
    4. Max Charge (A) - 55A (3kW max PV generation, charging at 54V max)
    5. Over (V) Protection - No idea, but set at 55V
    6. Min Discharge (V) - No Idea, (but set at 48V)
    7. Max Discharge (A) - 50A
    8. Low (V) Protection - No idea, (but set at 48V I think)
    9. Max Charge (V) - set at 55V - won't go higher, but I'm ok with that.
    10. Empty Charged Voltage - No Idea.
    11. Full Charged Voltage - No Idea.

    Could you explain the 'No Ideas', please? And is everything else looking ok? Thanks 😁

    Screenshot 2026-06-03 at 12-25-52 Datasheet_EN_M48112-S_V08.25022021 - Datasheet_EN_M48112-S_V08.25022021.pdf.png

    PXL_20260603_112358930.jpg
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,917 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Here's where I shared some settings, based on the ones that work for me:

    Looking at those and comparing to yours:

    • Over V protection - yours seems to be set too low.
    • Max charge V - yours seems to be a bit too high.

    Re the "no idea", I've got empty set at 48v and full set at 56v. These seem to work!

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • WIAWSNB
    WIAWSNB Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Thanks QrixB.

    Yes, I knew you'd given me some figures to work with, and that was my starting point. But I wished to understand the difference between, say, 'Min Discharge V' and 'Low V Protection', and even 'Empty Charge Voltage' for that matter!

    Max Charge V is at 55V, but the 'S' will go to over 56V, apparently. Is 55 still too high, do you think?

    I don't think 'Over V Protection' will go higher than 55V.

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,917 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Based on my fiddling about (so please don't treat as authoritative):

    Minimum discharge is the voltage at which the inverter stops asking the battery for power, if it hasn't already cut out on SOC.

    Low V protection is the voltage at which the inverter will automatically start to charge the battery.

    Empty voltage is the notional 0% SOC voltage.

    Max charging voltage for a LFP battery is usually quoted as 3.65 volts per cell (58.4v for a 16S battery) but 100% SOC "at rest" (not charging) is only 3.4 volts per cell (54.4v for 16S). As I'm not using a comms cable, the Sofar doesn't know when the battery is full and won't drop back to 54.4v so I've set my charging voltage low enough that I'm not going to overcharge my battery and damage it.

    Charging to 54.4v still gets you to >90% SOC which is good enough for me.

    My Over V protection will go to 58.4v (3.65 vpc) so that's where I've set it. My battery should never get that high but it's a backstop!

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.