We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
So far, a few issues. (Gettit?) Cough - Sofar ME3000 SP
Ok, all set up. Followed the correct starting up protocol - no PV, battery connected, power on.
Into settings. It seems to be going ok, but I do have an ID57 fault as my battery is currently at -21oC.
I didn't connect the COM cable when I first set it up, as I didn't know if it was compatible, but I have since tried it with the cable connected. The Sofar appears to be either getting false info, or it's stuck with a previous setup in regards the COMs.
I'm working through it - you may have noticed that Google has slowed down as a result - but any pointers would be appreciated. I've added some screenshots - anything weird there?
The battery is an Alpha-ESS M48112-S - this is unusual as it's designed for series installation, but I only have one connected at the mo'. Am I best to remove the COM link and let it get on? Ta.
This is it before turning the PV back on:
After:
And some figures and settings:
Comments
-
And should I update the Software version V0.31? I presume Hardware version V1.00 just means it's an early model?
0 -
The Sofar has a battery temperature sensor connector. If you don't have a sensor connected you'll get spurious readings.
Looking at your configuration data, you've got your battery type set as DEFAULT which is why the COM cable isn't having any effect.
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.1 -
I thought the thermistor was just for Lead-Acid batteries, whereas 'Default' covers both L-A and Li-Ion? So a solution could be to fit a therm across the connection?
Am I best to leave off the COM cable, or try and use the nearest equivalent battery's settings - the Pylontech, Darfen, whatevs - and try and tweak the charging/discharge parameters?
Ta.
0 -
So a solution could be to fit a therm across the connection?
If you have one, yes that would work. I have one fitted and it reports a sensible temperature.
Am I best to leave off the COM cable, or try and use the nearest equivalent battery's settings
As I understand it, if you use a comm cable you have to tell the inverter what language to talk. That's why you tell it the battery manufacturer. The battery then tells the Sofar what its capacity, voltage etc. is.
If you want to set battery parameters manually, use the DEFAULT setting and don't use a comm cable.
You said your Sofar has a setting for Alpha batteries? You could try that with your comm cable and see what parameters the battery passes to the inverter.
And should I update the Software version V0.31
You'll see from a recent thread that firmware 3.60 might have problems. If you do decide to flash the inverter, you might want to pick an earlier one than that!
I'm running version 2.70 and it seems pretty stable.
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.1 -
Fab, thanks.
Yes, the Sofar instructions seemingly includes the Parallel version of this battery in one of its options, but my machine does not. Perhaps that will be included in the software update. Cool - I'll try that first.
Yes, I've read there are issues with the latest version - the display disappearing after a half-hour and daft stuff like that!
Good to know a therm (10k NTC) should fool the machine. Ha-ha - how I'll laugh as my house goes up in flames and the Sofar insists it's a comfy 18oC…
0 -
Just checked my parts bin - I have a 10k resistor. Will try that tomorrow.
A Q, please. If, on updating the software, the Alpha-ESS 'P' option appears on the battery list, can I select it and then tweak it to increase the voltages slightly to suit the S, or is it fixed? Ie, is starting with 'Default' the only way to set my own parameters?
And, since I'll never want to charge the battery at more than 15A - just over the abs max output of the PV - should I set it at that? I have the Sofar connected to the CU via a 20A MCB, so I should set the max discharge to, say, 15A too?
Thanks.
0 -
Ookkaaay.
There is no physical socket for the NTC connector, only two wee pins sticking out from the PCB, so I cannot connect a resistor across it unless I remove the front cover to gain access to these pins - which I'll do if needed (already done so for a gander).
However, what I'm first going to do is update the Software from the ancient V0.31 (does anyone have older?!). I've plumped for V2.70 as QrizB reckons it's 'stable'. I clearly have an old ME3000, so I don't want to push my luck. So, I'm following the lovely guidance given by Setfire Labs, but I wish to be 100% confident I know what I'm doing.
I've prepared a fresh micro SD card, formatted to FAT. I've downloaded the V2.7 file, opened it, and have six files; ARM.bin, ARM.hex, DSPM.bin, DSPM.hex, DSPS.bin, and DSPS.hex. First Q - is that correct? That is what I should have?
Second Q - these are the files I simply copy on to the blank SD card and stick it where t'sun don't whatsit?
Ta.
0 -
I'm sorry but I can't really help you with your current questions. I've only ever used the DEFAULT battery type and don't know whether you can manually tweak settings on the other ones. Also I've never flashed my firmware.
I am however pretty sure my NTC connection was a plug-and-socket not bare pins. I'll check later.
Good luck and please let us know how it goes!
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.1 -
Jeepers - playing with fixed resistors, which I'm told are 10k each. I currently have three in series, and have got the Sofar down to an indicated 66oC from 99… Anyhoo, will check the values properly - colourbands are near indecipherable tho' AI says '10k', but may connect up a pot temporarily instead.
Anyhoo, what a pita powering down each time to remove the cover since there isn't a proper NTC socket on the board. The worst is the battery, which fires off a welding-sized spark every time I connect it. I'm guessing caps being charged so fairly normal, but why no warning of this? Wanna know how high I jumped the first time?
Ok, meter suggest the resistors are 620ohm each. Kinda explains a lot… (In case you are wondering why I didn't check the values with the meter before, it's 'cos the meter was wired up to the battery inlet on the Sofar so I can keep an eye on what it's doing.)
Will connect a Pot, unless I can find a genuine 10k jobbie.
(And, yes, will order an NTC to fit - might as well do it proper…)
0 -
The worst is the battery, which fires off a welding-sized spark every time I connect it.
Do you not have a DC-rated breaker between the battery and the inverter?
Even something like this will let you avoid the sparks!
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards







