We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

So far, a few issues. (Gettit?) Cough - Sofar ME3000 SP

2

Comments

  • WIAWSNB
    WIAWSNB Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Thanks - I have a rotary DC switch winging its way. Rated at 63A which I thought would be plenty, but - man - that spark!

    It's 'normal'? And no warning… 😶

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,917 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    > It's 'normal'?

    I think so!

    Here's a dreadful photo of my NTC connection. I definitely have a little push-in connector.

    1000010265.jpg

    My battery temperature is currently showing as 21C, which seems slightly lower than expected but is at least in the right ballpark!

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 3,118 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I looks to me like the ntc Connector is missing as you can see it on Qrizb's picture but not on yours just the bare pins that the fixed con Connect with on the pcb. They are quite common connectors to purchase.

    Why not just buy a 10k ntc thermistor and have it on long wires so you read actual batt temp rather than fixed value resistor that tell you nothing....or does it affect an alarm?

    You definitely need to get an isolator fitted on the DC side. It needs to be 4 pole to isolate pos and neg and sufficiently high rated for the battery. Much higher than battery max normal current to prevent contacts welding under a fault condition. Do not disconnect the battery whilst working ( charge or discharge) as that small spark is dangerous ( if not just exiting!!). Battery manufacturer/manual will advise rating. DC can be very nasty.

  • WIAWSNB
    WIAWSNB Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 25 May at 12:14PM

    Thanks QrizB.

    There's just two bent pins coming out of my board, and they are too awkward to reach via the aperture, so I need to remove the cover each time…

    PXL_20260523_071856408.jpg

    PXL_20260525_105502118.jpg

    But… it's WORKING!

    PXL_20260525_104547507.jpg

    Tho' charging at a slow rate - now dropped to 0.55kW. Would this be because it's at near full capacity? Will need to tweak the voltages and charge/discharge rates to suit.

    The battery had a stored voltage of 52.4V when connected, and is charging at an indicated 53.9V.

    So, next steps are to update the software to V2.70, and hope that includes the Alpha-ESS battery parameters, which I hope means it'll communicate by CAN, and I hope to be able to then tweak the voltages up slightly to the 'S' version rather than the expected 'P'.

    Got a waterproof box on order to house the batteries just outside. I imagine I'll just fit two - that should give just over 10kWh storage, probably enough realistically for a 3kW PV system.

  • WIAWSNB
    WIAWSNB Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    The PV generation is currently showing as 2.12kW, wheras the Aurora inverter is saying it's 2.5. This can be adjusted in the Sofar?

    My battery is now fully charged, well, as currently set.

  • WIAWSNB
    WIAWSNB Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Thank you, HtA.

    It's all as you say. Yes, I'll be getting a thermistor, and will attach it to the battery side. I'm hoping I can get the Sofar to recognise the battery via CAN, but the thermistor will be handy otherwise.

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,917 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Great to hear that it's working! 🎉

    The battery had a stored voltage of 52.4V when connected, and is charging at an indicated 53.9V … Tho' charging at a slow rate - now dropped to 0.55kW. Would this be because it's at near full capacity?

    From your earlier screenshots, the Sofar's max charge voltage was set to 53.5V (unless you changed that since). It does sound as though the Sofar thinks it's full now, and ~54V is what I tend to call "full" for my battery.

    The PV generation is currently showing as 2.12kW, wheras the Aurora inverter is saying it's 2.5. This can be adjusted in the Sofar?

    I think you can adjust some of the the CT clamp parameters, but it's probably not worth the bother.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • WIAWSNB
    WIAWSNB Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    I am a dunce.

    Figured out the reason why the charge rate was so low - it's because I set the max charge amps to 15. Totally forgetting it's '~50V' Amps, and not 240.

    Ditto with discharge - I wonder how far 15A at 50V output would power the house? Ooh - it'll keep the lights on!

    I now have the full PV generation - 2.2kW - going into the battery. Set it to 40A max at the mo' - taking it easy, and well below the max rating of 112A (not that the PV will provide this anyhoo.)

  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 3,118 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Making progress.....

  • WIAWSNB
    WIAWSNB Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Jeepers - a 'mare trying to update the software. I was warned to leave well alone!

    Tried V2.5 and then V2.41, but - lawdie - Sofar went bonkers. Fail fail fail, screen going off, battery being charged from grid - you name it.

    PXL_20260603_100927663.jpg

    Thankfully I kept the original SD card, so I'm back up and running.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.