We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Disability Facilities Grant Funding a Means Test Shortfall "Personal Contribution"
Comments
-
Hi Peeps
Most comments refer to PIP which I do not receive as my income from my Occupational Pension Plus Retirement Pensions are above the means tested eligible levels. In fact this is one of my major issues because anyone in such circumstances, with what might be termed a "comfortable" pension income but limited or no savings and with all "capital" tied into a property will find that the legislation and all "official" and disability rights advice makes no comment, and to use the old legalistic parlance "is silent", on where the shortfall funding can be obtained. In my case I have another four and a half years of a ten year fixed rate mortgage and although I have equity, my mortgage lender has advised that because of my age I am ineligible for either release or a new loan. The other issue is that borrowing terms from all other sources aren't that good.
What irks is that some local authorities have schemes to provide a "Deferred Payment Agreement", which basically means that the balance is paid upon sale or my demise, or other property improvement loan schemes. Mine doesn't! They don't provide advice either on potential funding schemes. I have no issue with borrowing or paying it back - just that a) I have very limited borrowing options and b) DFG is "mandatory" and I have been assessed as in need of the adaptations but no way of accessing advice or loan. If I were on PIP or Pension Credit the full cost of the works, up to £30k would be paid by the local authority under the primary legislation but because I have made provision for my retirement, and put all my available savings into the deposit for my home, I am left with a headache!
I've already made a Stage One Complaint and am now into Stage Two, with a deadline date of response on 27th June, after which I am already prepped and ready for Stage Three - taking the case to the Ombudsman. Optimistic? No but it's worth the effort if only to air the issue politically. My MP is already involved , but if I tell you that I live in the Great Yarmouth Constituency, you'll have an insight into how positive I feel about that!!!!!
Meanwhile, to compound that last point I'm also a Southampton FC Supporter……………………
Up the Saints.
Chris (Spinster of this Parish and Divorced Male).
0 -
PIP is NOT means tested - it is paid irrespective of income or savings - I too receive an Occupational Pension (Ill health in my case) and I also receive enhanced PIP (Care and Mobility) - an extra (almost) £200 per week - tax free - just a suggestion - if you are incapable enough - claim it !
If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.0 -
As above, PIP is not means-tested in the slightest, although as you are over pension age the relevant disability benefit to claim would be Attendance Allowance (which does not include a mobility element).
0 -
My advice is to claim Attendance Allowance.
You can make the initial application by phone and your claim is backdated to the date of your application. The key is supplying medical evidence.I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb. ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.[/b] [11 months left.[/b]0 -
Already receiving AA. The problem is that AA is not a qualifying benefit in the way that PIP/PC are.
0 -
As for PIP. I don't qualify. My disabilities and "ailments" don't "fit" into those neat boxes for the assessors, I'm afraid.
0 -
I think I shall add a new strapline to my address and username. "No Stone Unturned"
I had a career in the Third Sector dealing with Government and LA Grants, EU Funding and Fundraising across all sectors. My Second Stage Complaint/Appeal is due today - so Monday I expect to have to chase the LA up for the result, after which Stage Three awaits - the Ombudsman. All time consuming and a few decades ago, I remember suggesting to a Benefits Tribunal Judge that the Government Department chasing a claimant for an alleged overpayment of £100 had probably spent more in processing and dealing with the claim than the original amount! He agreed and put that criticism in his judgement!
Fun iinit?
1 -
You more likely don’t qualify now because if you’re getting attendance allowance, then you are already over the age limit for a new claim for PIP. You don’t get both and any new claims for PIP need to be made before state pension age.
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.
Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.1 -
A stairlift would be cheaper, while giving mobility help too.
0 -
PIP is not a qualifying benefit for a DFG, only means-tested benefits. (Which in your case would be Pension Credit, but evidently your income is too high for that.)
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


