We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Disability Facilities Grant Funding a Means Test Shortfall "Personal Contribution"
Comments
-
Did you read the link?
"However, the eligibility criteria for PIP grants varies based on which type of grant is being applied for. … Once the PIP award has been received, it is possible to apply for various grants, yet again, this is only based on your eligibility."
Though I'm not sure I really rate that site for information to be fair, it's very wordy and far more confusing than a basic Google search for each individual term would be. And doesn't cover very much at all, I actually thought it was going to be more like a directory of very niche independent grants that government information won't tell you about.
0 -
Hi Folks
I've been heavily engaged in the Complaints Process with my Local Authority - and still awaiting a formal acknowlgement but my experience as a Senior Third Sector Manager tells me that this is part of the "normal" delaying practice for such departments. I've followed up with hard copies and reminders, keeping the paper trail alive and well.
I may not have been clear in my original posts but no, I do not receive PIP, nor Pension Credit, and am ineligible for the £30k (max) Mandatory Grant and so after the Means Test my "contribution" is assessed at £42k as a result of my occupational pension. I do not have savings or assets to cover. I am therefore seeking funding and at age 74 the options for cost effficient borrowing are limited, I have a small remaining mortgage balance and term (4years 5months) and have approached my lender who is not able offer any additional loans due to their age related policies.
I applied to the Local Authority Deferred Payment Agreement where the full cost is covered on condition of repayment at sale or my eventual demise!
I have used and funded my contribution, through a bank loan, of a Bathroom Adaptation under DFG in the past and am well versed in the system.
The DPA has been refused. Equity release will incur costs and although being explored as an option my overall concern is that the ability to obtain the best rates and terms for borrowing. The Legislaton and most LA Policies are silent on this particular issue and offers no "solutions" or advice which is vitally important if the applicant is to receive the best, independent and beneficial informationa and lending rates.
So there t'is. I'm plugging on but meanwhile my need for that GF Toilet increases as my disability increases.
Christopher
1 -
Yes but is the eligibility based on savings as well as income ?
Or just income ?
If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.0 -
That PIP link cannot be genuine
"Receiving PIP may open the door to discounts at some major retailers.
These deals can help you stretch your money further and cut back on
everyday costs. Many major retailers offer exclusive discounts to people
on PIP so it’s worth looking out for these opportunities to save!For example, some supermarkets provide a discount on groceries if you
show your PIP award letter. It is a simple way to save on your regular
shopping, so be sure to ask at your local store what might be available."I don't think that Morrisons will be interested in a deal
"Keeping up with utility bills can be challenging, but there are
schemes in place to help those on PIP. The warm home discount scheme,
for instance, can reduce your electricity bill in the winter! Some
energy suppliers also offer special payment plans or discounts if you
receive PIP. Reaching out to your provider to ask about available
options could lead to meaningful savings.Sometimes energy providers may have special offers available to you
if you get in contact with them and let them know you receive PIP."I tried Octopus and was gently told to go away
If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.0 -
Sorry to hear this. I have nothing to add other than how absolutely disappointing.
I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb. ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.[/b] [11 months left.[/b]0 -
My savings are small, mainly for the unexpected and annual bills such as insurance. This situation is odd because the legislation is clear that a DFG is Mandatory but only for those on basic pension, PIP, UC or Pension Credit, none of which I have.
1 -
It would depend on the individual grant/scheme. But as mentioned that site isn't a great resource.
@chriscript1952 I would suggest having a look at the site I linked to, - no guarantee there's anything on there of any help to you, but you've nothing to lose having a good look just in case there might be anything you could apply for.
0 -
@chriscript1952. Thinking about your previous employment are there any benevolent funds you could approach for help?
I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb. ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.[/b] [11 months left.[/b]0 -
Or were you, for example, a union member?
Signature removed for peace of mind1 -
I too was rejected - 3 + years ago on the grounds that I had over £20k savings but receiving enhanced PIP - should I have fought harder ?
If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

