We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Mileage allowance for part time work.

2

Comments

  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 4,277 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    OP, do you mean Business Class insurance? If you get stopped by the police while delivering it will likely be a driving without insurance offence. As above, you need courier insurance. You won't be covered if anything happens whilst delivery driving with BC - there's a reason why it was so cheap. Your employer should know but presumably chose to ignore it.

  • Midway2942
    Midway2942 Posts: 31 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    Well I showed my insurance certificate to my employer and he was happy enough with it. I only deliver small items from one business address to another. I am not a fast food delivery driver visiting multiple private residences.

  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 8,615 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I don't suppose the employer cares what insurance you have. It won't be their car seized by the police.

    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,306 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper

    The people who need to be 'happy enough' are your insurance company, not your boss.

  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 4,277 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    OP, I have Business Class 1 Insurance as I drive from site to site on my own and don't deliver anything. I've had it for over 30 years. It's fine for what I do in my job. As soon as you become a courier or start carrying passengers it's a different kettle of fish. Business class 2 is for an additional driver, and class 3 is for the likes of sales reps who carry samples. None of these are suitable for couriers.

    I would suggest you contact your insurer, and ask them whether the cover you have is suitable for doing courier work. If it is, they should be fine sending you an email to confirm it. As above , your employer won't be in court if you get caught.

  • Midway2942
    Midway2942 Posts: 31 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    Ok I'm trying to get quotes for "hire and reward" add on cover but the ones I've tried so far have declined to quote. I've 30 plus years no claims and a clean licence, I don't understand why not. Zepo and INSUHR seem to be the two main providers and both declined me.

  • paul_c123
    paul_c123 Posts: 1,162 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    What are you delivering? I re-read the OP's posts, he only says what he is NOT delivering. If it is goods owned/sold by the business, you don't need hire/reward. If it is other people's items, you do. You might also consider goods-in-transit insurance (hire & reward will cover the motor/road risks element, but not the value of the goods themselves).

    It may well end up this job actually loses you money, rather than makes any money for you, if the insurance is too high.

    The likes of Amazon Flex, Evri, etc do "pay as you go" insurance for their gig workers.

  • Midway2942
    Midway2942 Posts: 31 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 30 May at 12:20PM

    I'm delivering non-hazardous medical supplies for a private business, as an employee, it is not my business. I managed to finally get a quote and it was in the region of £1400, which is £1200 more than my current car insurance policy that includes standard business use.

  • GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    @paul_c123 According to another quick check if your primary role is delivering something for your employer you do need hire and reward insurance.

    @Midway2942 Have you tried ringing a broker although a quick search of a couple of forums suggests it will be quite expensive so may make the job uneconomic for you unless the employer agrees to cover the cost.

  • Midway2942
    Midway2942 Posts: 31 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    Ah so it appears this venture isn't going to be worth my while, the mileage allowance would barely cover the cost of the insurance and petrol never mind wear and tear on the car. Add in the raft of parking tickets I've received in the last fortnight and it's been nothing short of a disaster.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.