We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Mileage allowance for part time work.
I've recently started a part time job delivering using my own car. The employer is giving me a mileage allowance of 35p per mile. I understand you can claim the difference up to 55p/mile through tax rebates.
However, as I only work 15 hours a week I won't earn enough to pay any tax. Does that mean I won't be able to claim any extra?
Comments
-
Correct, to get tax relief you need to pay tax in the first place.
3 -
Is this part-time job your ONLY income?
Because, if not, you'll need to do a self-assessment tax return anyway - and that's how you claim that allowance.0 -
They'll be doing a self assessment form anyway as they exceed the £1000 trading allowance even at basic living hourly rate. However I agree that doesn't necessarily mean they will be paying tax.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.0 -
Will they? They said employed, not self-employed?
1 -
Yes it's my only current income, so no forms to fill in as far as I'm aware?
0 -
As long as you are really employed and not self-employed then no forms
0 -
I completely misread it, I was sure it said self employed.
OP please ignore my last post.I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.0 -
35p/mile isn't much. Do you have to buy your own carriage-of-goods insurance as well as fuel, or does your employer insure you?
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.0 -
I had to upgrade my car insurance to include business insurance but it was only an extra £50 for the year. Yes I'm a bit miffed on the mileage allowance, but it's such a cushy number I'm loathe to ask for an increase….
0 -
Do you have insurance to carry and deliver goods which isn't the same as basic business insurance?
2
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

