We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

EBay nothings moving

I’ve been out of action for two months and haven’t been well enough to list anything on eBay.


However, since last week I’ve listed one item a day (ladies clothes) and now have 7 listed. It’s absolutely dead, no watchers and barely any views. Is everyone now buying from Vinted?

«1

Comments

  • messia07
    messia07 Posts: 243 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 21 May at 3:43PM

    unfortunately ebay buyers are very selective when buying items, especially with women’s clothes for some reason.


    do you check completed listings on ebay before listing your items? It could be the particular makes, colour or even sizes of your clothes are not in demand and with other eBay sellers, remain unsold.

  • Newbie_John
    Newbie_John Posts: 1,899 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    The used cloths category on ebay is full of rubbish, I've seen used items more expensive than new ones, or in very bad state.. plus delivery fee. Unless it's a known brand or it's listed for £1 then chances are slim.

  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,492 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I do think for clothes Vinted has the edge , but this time of year is always quiet - and even for 'cheap' second hand clothing people are quite choosy what they actually buy.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Jemma01
    Jemma01 Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Yeah I listed some stuff vinted, it was much easier to list. Not sure how much protection one gets though.

    I'm FTB, not an expert, all my comments are from personal experience and not a professional advice.
    Mortgage debt start date 11/2024 = 175k (5.19%)... Q1/2026 = PAID (3.94%)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 36,583 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    edited 23 May at 10:19AM

    I sell all my stuff - mainly clothes & footwear- on eBay.

    During the last week I've sold 9 items of clothing.

    I currently have about 100 items listed with a few of those being items of silver jewellery plus some boots which I'll unlist and put away for next Autumn.

    Maybe it depends what you are selling and for how much.

    ETA:

    I sold 2 items of clothing and a silver item yesterday and have a bid bids on 2 clothes items bids on 3 clothes items.

    I'm just getting rid of my unwanted items so am happy to get £3.00 for something that would just be taken to the charity shop.

    So the changes above show that things are moving on eBay.

    FTR, the items I've sold in the last week are:

    Next dresses

    EWM dresses

    shorts playsuit

    dungarees

    velour top

    3 x silver items

    And the bids are on quality bikini tops and a quality dress.

    Perhaps the OP's items are priced too high or just not the sort of things people are looking for.

  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 36,583 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!

    And yet another bid … 👍🤸

    OP

    What are you selling and what price are you asking?

  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 36,583 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!

    And yet another bid and an out-of-the-blue purchase.

    eBay is definitely moving for me.

    OP

    What are you selling and what price are you asking?

  • red_boots2
    red_boots2 Posts: 220 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper

    Quietest week of the year for me so far too.

  • Momogeew
    Momogeew Posts: 106 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    As, purely, a buyer of clothing/footwear/accessories - the one thing that stands out with sellers is they don't include the measurements of the items.

    Sizing isn't universal with footwear and clothing so just stating a S, M, or L is of no help at all when judging whether the chest, hips, length will actually fit your own body.

    I usually ask for those details but very often i get no replies at all - those items i won't buy because when they don't fit i don't want the faff of returning them, i used to just hope for the best but i'd just end up with numerous items that don't fit, so have wasted my hard earned money.

    When listing the items, include a tape measure against it showing the details, or just write them into the wording.

  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 36,583 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!

    I include photos of the measurements of all my clothes:

    pit-to-pit

    nape to hem

    inside leg

    armpit to cuff

    TBH, if the garment sizing is S/M/L I don't think it's unreasonable for the seller to list as such.

    I'd expect a prospective buyer to look at the brand sizing guide as that is what I would do as a prospective buyer.

    If I'm a buyer and still not sure, I ask the seller.

    And mostly get good replies.

    As a seller, I don't get many questions as my descriptions and photos are very detailed but I always reply when asked.

    As for footwear, a lot of brands show UK/EU/US sizing so I would include all that information as well as width if that information is available.

    I think it's unreasonable to expect a seller to include sizing information that's not available on the item in an attempt to fit the item to a complete stranger's body.

    On the topic - I'm still selling well.

    14 parcels posted this week.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.