We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Selling my house with cleared up rat problem
Comments
-
Of course no-one can guarantee what can happen in future.
I think the main takeaway from the thread is whether you even need to mention it. I, as with most folk, initially thought 'no', as the issue has been resolved. A bit of research suggested it was 'yes', or you could leave yourself open to a legal challenge later on.
So my current take is that you should mention it in the TA6, but add that it has been professionally addressed with no further issues (report available). And market your house at the full market value, and 'expect' to get that.
Ie, as you say, this is an issue that can beset pretty much anyone at any time without warning. If it happens, you/they get the pros in to sort it. End of. (Or should be).
If some folk want to be overcautious about this 'emotive' issue and back out of the purchase, that's their call. May their next house have fleas...
1 -
you
shouldmention it in the TA6In answer to which question (given that there's nothing in it about rats, whether historic or current)?
2 -
I understand that rats are not specifically mentioned, but I'm struggling to find the latest 6th Ed version to see the exact wording. Is there not anything in the Environmental section which could include other things that could materially affect a property's value?
Even the HomeOwnersAlliance 'bot' suggests it's 'yes' for rats and infestations, but, I don't know. And a bot is AI…
0 -
Is there not anything in the Environmental section which could include other things that could materially affect a property's value?
No, nothing that vague. I mean, there's nothing stopping a seller from jumping up and down and making their own unprompted disclosure about rats, but I think any buyers will consider that a bit suspicious and/or weird.
2 -
Fair do's.
0 -
Do you mean don't voluntarily mention it if it's cleared up? I did look at the latest TA6 form and there is no specific mention to rodents
0 -
You could ask your solicitor?
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
