We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Selling my house with cleared up rat problem
Comments
-
We are living in the sue first ask questions later culture so maybe the best thing to do is be upfront about everything in the TA6 regardless of what people think they may get away with.
0 -
Perhaps, but this isn't even touched upon in the TA6.
2 -
I am always perplexed why such questions are not addressed to the regulated and insured professional who is acting on behalf of the vendor/buyer rather than asking some random characters on an internet forum
1 -
not a question on TA6 form so you don't have to worry unless it is asked directly by the solicitors.
0 -
If it had been a complaint by a neighbour about your rats, even though they're no longer around, you'd need to declare it. In this case, however, there wasn't and you don't.
But. You might want to consider providing the information anyway, because anyone can sue for anything. So if the rats did return and the new owners discovered your rat preventions hadn't worked, they could sue you on the grounds you withheld material information. They would probably lose, but that wouldn't stop the case progressing and you having to find a lot of money to contest it - money which you might never get back. However, if you'd made a full declaration, that would make it practically speaking impossible to sue. No lawyer would take it on because there would be zero possibility of a favourable result.
That said, I wouldn't mention it if I were selling.
0 -
Hi HewittInSpain.
Did the pest fellow explain how the rats got from the sewer in to your loft? They shouldn't be able to. Did they trace and sort this issue too?
I was in complete agreement with others in this thread about not declaring what would be an (over)emotive issue for most folk, when you've had it professionally addressed. However, there's a thread on the DIY forum about rats chewing through a pan connector, and replies suggest that fitting a rat gate in the underground sewer is not necessarily the full fix - the cause of the rats presence should really be addressed.
A quick Google returns pretty unanimous replies from selling agents and pest controllers (of course) that this is an issue that should be declared, as having a potentially material affect on the house value.
I don't know the answer to your Q, but would suggest that if the new owner suffers a recurrence of the issue, and finds out you knew about it, you would be very vulnerable to a claim.
If the rat gate has sorted it and it never becomes a future issue, then you are home and dry.
But if the buyer finds out about your rat issue, even though the rats never returned - say the sewer blocks and the drain guy says, "Hey, did you know there was a rat gate fitted....?" - then it'll likely come down to how litigious the new owner is. They'd struggle, I think, but some folk know they can try it on.
Also, a house surveyor will/should look for evidence of bats and rodents and other infestations, particularly in the loft.
What to do? I guess find out what needs to be done to stop the rats getting into the house regardless of the gate - they just shouldn't be able to. And ask your conveyancing solicitor whether you should declare it, and when.
Provided you have addressed the issue fully - your house is effectively ratproof - then you shouldn't have to entertain any significant reduction in value, I don't think (tho' it'll almost certainly put off some buyers, and encourage chancers to try a low bid). But without a full resolution, then it likely will make a difference.
You'd also have to declare it - for a potentially different reason - if, say, the rat problem was/is caused by a neighbour who leaves food scraps lying around.
So, do you know the 'cause'? How are they actually getting in?
0 -
I had the same problem in my house, rats got up through the wall cavities from the sewer to the loft. Rat gate appears to have sorted the problem.
If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales1 -
But how did they get out of the sewer and in to your wall cavity? There must be a gap or hole or break somewhere there shouldn't be.
0 -
I can't remember how the pest control officer said it happened, but it wasn't an isolated occurrence
If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales1 -
Apparently 90% of rats in your loft come from the sewer, ie a small gap in your private sewer pipe which they can then bury under the house into the wall cavity then find a quiet place (ie the loft).The other 10% come from ingress points in the brickwork and then up the cavity that way.
I can never guarantee that rats can never return in the future by another means, they say we are no more than 3ft away from a rat but I'm thinking if my problem is signed off by my pest controller and proof of work done (ie ratgate on sewer pipe which looked to have had a misalignment) then I should surely be covered as there would no way to prove a future rat infestation by another means. My house is in an estate where houses rarely go on sale and I know the ones that have gone up have sold quickly. The estate agent valued it at 155-160k and I will mention it on the TA6 form but don't need to go into too much depth do I? I could say I had a couple of rats in the loft, pest controller came and put a rat gate on and signed it off as done which is basically what he did. Would I then put my house on for top money and that would give any wiggle room if potential buyer isn't happy (or not knock anything off at all??) What would be best?
Having a rat problem isn't rare so should we all give in and sell out houses on the cheap?
Like I say I can't guarantee my house will be rat proof for the future, I know all entry points are sealed and have a rat gate on a slightly misaligned private sewer but what if my neighbour has a problem in the future or immediate future then am I covered with a letter from my pest controller at the time of selling it he reports that he's checked entry points around house and fitted a ratgate on my private sewer which means there is no way a rat can come from the communal sewer into my private sewer pipe.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

