We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Can you modify the 12v socket in any way to make it ignition-live?
Comments
-
You could save yourself the hassle of chopping the original sockets wire and just fit an extra 12v socket somewhere handy and ignore the original one.
Just wire a new one into the fuse box with a fuse tap to a switched live circuit and earth the other end somewhere to the body under the dash.
Something like this will just screw up to the dash with a couple of self tappers.
12V/24V Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter Charger Power Adapter Two USB Port | eBay UK
I tend to fit these in car boots for things like cool boxes, though I might make them permanent live.
1 -
Is it really live all the time? As many cars will have items like this live for a bit after car turned off & locked, then car will fully power down.
Life in the slow lane0 -
Not a bad shout tbh.
I wired in the Viofo dash cam using their kit.
But I also wired in a camera at the rear which I used the supplied 12v male - so I just hardwired a 12v female in to the fuse box so that it was switched live. If I could do that then I should be able to do this. Might just need a YouTube refresher on orientation in the fuse box as I seem to remember a right & a wrong way in terms of directionals but should be able to do it.
🤐🤐🤐
0 -
AFAIK a MK5 VW 12v socket should shut down after 10 minutes.
It should not be permanently live.
1 -
Interesting. I should test that out then.
Battery is currently completely disconnected. Will it be a simple case of connect the battery, plug something in the 12v socket & check again in 10-15mins?
OR, since the battery is currently completely disconnected, will it need to be connected for a certain length of time before testing it out?
I'd imagine I could test immediately but I'm an electrical dummy so before I do that & then get told it needs to be connected for an hour first, I thought I best ask.
🤐🤐🤐
0 -
It may be that the 10 minutes is triggered by you switching the engine / ignition off. For example my coolant run-on pump (on an Audi, so same group) runs for a fixed time (which might also be 10 mins) after the engine stops. My lighter socket also goes off after a while, and I think the light in the boot does the same.
1 -
Same as mine. 10 minutes after engine stop, radio, courtesy lights and lighter sockets switch off
0 -
Yeah I'll be looking at doing that as soon as I can. Bit physically limited right now which makes something like a dash install quite difficult, physically, for me. I did it on my last car.
I was looking at it yesterday. I have the Viofo A119 v3. Was just trying to work out the best place to locate that 'block' part of the HW kit. I'm thinking I might have to remove the trim underneath the steering wheel & locate it in there as I'm not sure there's enough room in the fuse box area to locate it. Was no problem on my last car with the fuse box being behind the glovebox so ample room.
🤐🤐🤐
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

