We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

FTTC to FTTP phone swap timing.

spud17
spud17 Posts: 4,469 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
edited 16 May at 5:35PM in Broadband & internet access

I'm moving from NOW FTTC to Plusnet FTTP.

I'm going to have some overlap of services.

I want to keep the phone line for the time being and was going to move it to someone like A&A.

I'll have to set up a VOIP account with a temporary number.

When I give NOW my notice, how long before I can move my number to VOIP?

If I give a months notice should I wait until day 28 for example?

Or is it like a mobile PAC, they'll just close the account once you move?

NB:

I put my order in at the beginning of March and was given a final install date of early June.

This was due to work needed to get the microduct to the house, currently the cable is Direct In Ground.

This was carried out by Openreach contractors last Thursday.

There is a large backlog of work in this area, the Openreach surveying engineer had been drafted in from Liverpool to here in Devon.

Move along, nothing to see.

Comments

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,879 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    What exactly do you mean by:

    I'm going to have some overlap of services.

    If NOW and Plusnet are both on Openreach infrastructure, it's likely that OR will switch off your FTTC service when they finish installing your FTTP.

    If you're hoping to keep both running in parallel, you might be disappointed.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • spud17
    spud17 Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    It's was ordered as a new line, not a takeover.

    Move along, nothing to see.
  • littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Do you have legacy voice or Digital. Voice? Initiating a port on the legacy voice service will cause a cease of the broadband as well. Which is what you want.

  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 17 May at 9:31AM

    As stated , porting your phone number will almost certainly cease the Now broadband that is hosting it , so no need to give any notice to Now yourself, when satisfied your Plusnet FTTP is complete, contact A&A (presumably your VoIP provider) to begin the port of the phone number , you will know that action triggered the cessation of FTTC successfully , when Now send you the ‘sorry you are leaving’ statement, you shouldn’t need to speak to Now yourself, only if you don’t get a notification from Now would have to call them , an alternative strategy is cease your Now service yourself (with the appropriate notice period etc ) and when that’s done use the 30 day window after that for A&A to retrieve the phone number , but it’s not as good , you having a period without the number , it’s more of a risk , and the notice period you need to give is much longer than if A&A serve notice on your behalf.

    The only other potential issue is if Now were not the initial number range holder for your particular phone number , you moved your number from someone else into Now in the past , the more parties involved in porting the more potential for it going wrong , and should it go wrong , no one will take responsibility blaming the others for the failure, and basically the number will just be lost , so it’s worth knowing that before you start .

  • spud17
    spud17 Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 17 May at 11:05AM

    I'm on legacy voice.

    I was wanting to know the best time to initiate the port to VOIP.

    Reading the post from @iniltous below, it looks like it's similar to porting your mobile, a port automatically terminates the service without being charged, assuming you're out of your minimum term, which I am.

    Edit: After starting this thread, I had a text from Openreach saying that they've brought forward the final install date from June 12th to May 22nd.

    Confirmation from PlusNet later in the evening.

    Praise to Openreach, they have been good at keeping me informed with updates and information.

    Move along, nothing to see.
  • spud17
    spud17 Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Quote:

    "As stated , porting your phone number will almost certainly cease the Now broadband that is hosting it , so no need to give any notice to Now yourself, when satisfied your Plusnet FTTP is complete, contact A&A (presumably your VoIP provider) to begin the port of the phone number , you will know that action triggered the cessation of FTTC successfully , when Now send you the ‘sorry you are leaving’ statement, you shouldn’t need to speak to Now yourself, only if you don’t get a notification from Now would have to call them "

    Perfect!

    That's the confirmation I was looking for.

    Once I'm happy with the FTTP, I can port my number away from NOW and the contract/service will terminate with no ETC, hopefully.

    The number was originally from BT, if I do lose it, it would be a shame but not a complete disaster.

    Move along, nothing to see.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.