We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Car Insurance - driving to Volunteer
I am having some major difficulty in choosing the right work/occupation description for Car Insurance purposes. I am technically unemployed, stay at home but do some part-time volunteer work each month where I drive alone to and from a designated office to carry out the volunteer work. This is true description, and how a reasonable person would describe my situation.
Problem arises when trying to describe this using the limited choices on price comparison sites. For example, on Confused.com if I choose 'Volunteer' option that then brings up a list of 1st and 2nd 'Occupation' descriptions but none of these include 'housewife' or 'at home' in either of the drop down menus. I am left unable to give a true description of my actvities.
I do not want to choose the incorrect descriptions as the car insurance companies would invalidate the policy immediately even though I am given little choice to select.
Can anyone advise on job description in this situation for car insurance?
Thanks
Comments
-
One to ring a insurer & explain the situation.
Life in the slow lane0 -
Your main 'occupation' is unemployed, homemaker or however you wish describe it. You the should then have the option of adding the voluntary work.
0 -
Surely we all volunteer to a certain extent?
I am a parish councillor, but I don't get paid, my mileage is still very low.
0 -
is there a ‘ not working ‘ choice?
0 -
Your main occupation would be Unemployed or house person. Volunteering would appear to be a grey area. Some insurers may regard that as "business use", even though you're not being paid.
0 -
I have never seen anything relating to volunteering being classified as business use, can you tell me why you say that?
0 -
As I said, some insurers may regard it as business use. It wasn't definitive. My reason for thinking that it may be, is that it is not social, domestic or pleasure.
0 -
If you carry other service users it would be business.
0 -
There's an ABI agreement on volunteer driving but I think the OPs question is about commuting to volunteer. In fact the query is about occupation and not class of use.
0 -
He would be giving other volunteers lifts, not employees. I give lifts to people all the time, voluntarily.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
