We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Flights to Doha

Hi all,

We (family of 4) are booked to fly to Thailand with Qatar Airways via Doha in July.
Does anyone with experience or knowledge have any advice? Clearly, if things stay the same we can’t transit through Doha as our insurance would be void.
At the moment it’s too early to take action but I’m wondering at what point will it become necessary to start making alternative arrangements? At the moment Qatar are saying only ‘impacted’ flights are allowed a refund. What constitutes an impacted flight? Also, am concerned my insurance (Allianz via Halifax bank) will try to use the war exception if I make a claim.

I suppose my last choice would be a section 75 claim.

Any advice appreciated.

«1

Comments

  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 4,322
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    If the flight goes ahead you do not have any right to a Section 75 claim if you decide not to travel.

  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 13,188
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Your claim is against the airline, impacted means the flight is against government advice, which it is not as it is in July not now. Airlines often cancel 7-14 days before if they flight is unable to proceed but if the flight is able to fly and advice is against you travelling that often requires the flight to leave before they refund.

    As to whether you would be covered by your insurance that depends on the policy but also whether you took out the policy and booked the flights before or after the guidance was changed, before you may be covered, after to either and you will not be covered.

    S75 does not apply here, at least not in the way you think it does.

  • halo1
    halo1 Posts: 13
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Thanks.
    Flights were booked before conflict was a known event.

    On chat Allianz suggested our flights to Thailand via Doha wouldn’t be covered because of FCDO but the Thai portion would which seems odd.

    I guess I thought a last resort would be to use the frustrated contract argument with S75.

  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 13,188
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    That seems a slightly odd wording. Were both the flights booked before 28th Feb and was the insurance taken out before the 28th Feb? Note that even then you might still not be covered as a lot of policies have an exclusion for war.

    Was it a package or separate flights?

    Again, S75 is not going to get you out of this one, the rules around flights are very specific and airlines almost always follow them to the letter, especially around things like this. Ultimately you are going to have to wait until closer to, or even on/after the date of travel.

  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,469
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper
    Ambassador

    I disagree. If Qatar are flying and the flight goes ahead, the airline has no obligation to refund or re-route you. You’ll have to speak to your insurer and see if (a) they will cover you, some will cover people transiting an airport in a country on the FCDO provided you are only staying airside and transiting or (b) the insurer will pay for a re-route or refund. If your insurer won’t cover you, you could try to see if you could get cover elsewhere, or ask your insurer if they will cover the rest of your holiday excluding the flight.

    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 20,015
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    the contract isn’t frustrated by you being disinclined to board the flight.

  • halo1
    halo1 Posts: 13
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Flights booked via travel agent separate to hotels at beginning of February. Insurance is via Halifax Bank Ultimate Reward Account. Has been in place for years.

    Am resigned to waiting but just wondered if there was a window, say 3-4 weeks before where I could expect the airline to recognise that travel is not viable due to government restrictions.

    We also have an airbnb booking that we can get a full refund on if we cancel by 20th June so this is also fuelling the debate.

    I’ll have to see what the situation is mid June.

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,365
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Flights booked via travel agent separate to hotels at beginning of February

    In itself this nullifies any potential to claim via s75…

  • halo1
    halo1 Posts: 13
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 10 May at 7:40PM

    I think I’ve definitely given the impression that I thought the S75 is a long shot.
    I suppose I was hoping someone might offer a glimmer of hope.

  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,469
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper
    Ambassador

    Best option is to work with your travel agent to re route your flights via somewhere outside the Middle East. Friends did this a few weeks ago. Their choice was to fly via Doha and not be insured for the flights (but their insurer said they would be insured for the holiday), cancel for whatever they could get back on the holiday and flight costs and lose their holiday, or pay extra to change their flights to a safer route.

    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.