We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

First Direct Closing First Directory, who offer similar?

2»

Comments

  • friolento
    friolento Posts: 4,354
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    I use the Santander one. £17 a month, but I get cashback on household Direct Debits which reduces my cost to £12.

    The Santander also comes with access to GPs, though I haven’t used this yet, so can’t say how good or otherwise it is.


    Another bonus that comes with the Santander account is their access to a couple of savings accounts: 6% AER on up to £4000 for 12 months (can be “renewed”), and a 8% Regular Saver, £200 max/mth for 12 months. The latter is probably not much use after 12 months but certainly good for a year.

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,074
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    After 35+ years of custom with them, I’m not amused.

    Frankly this is a retail bank that used to be excellent but has faded to mediocre and I’ll probably use this as an opportunity to jump ship. Their savings rates, ISAs, loans, mortgages, insurance and stock broking services have never been good and I’ve had to shop these around over the decades, so it won’t be hard to find a replacement.

    Sounds like voting with your feet is an appropriate response, but why has it taken so long to do so, given your low opinion of them?

    I can’t understand why moneyexpert raves about their customer service…it’s nothing special.

    Because customer service (for most) is a different measure from 'ability and willingness to extend a product that's being withdrawn', or 'best-paying savings products' for that matter.

  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 11,794
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    The FD regular saver has consistently been a (genuinely) market leading product for years, 7% on £300 a month. It's all I use them for, I switched a current account years ago and got the regular saver and used it every year

    Sam Vimes' Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness: 

    People are rich because they spend less money. A poor man buys $10 boots that last a season or two before he's walking in wet shoes and has to buy another pair. A rich man buys $50 boots that are made better and give him 10 years of dry feet. The poor man has spent $100 over those 10 years and still has wet feet.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.