We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

First Direct Closing First Directory, who offer similar?

Received a letter today from First direct about them closing the First directory that we pay for.

We are going to loose holiday insurance, phone insurance, break down car cover etc.

No reason to stay with them now as their interest rates are not that competitive.

Who else offers a similar service to the First Directory?

«1

Comments

  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 11,793
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/best-packaged-bank-accounts/

    Sam Vimes' Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness: 

    People are rich because they spend less money. A poor man buys $10 boots that last a season or two before he's walking in wet shoes and has to buy another pair. A rich man buys $50 boots that are made better and give him 10 years of dry feet. The poor man has spent $100 over those 10 years and still has wet feet.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,531
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    No reason to stay with them now as their interest rates are not that competitive.

    Their Regular Saver paying 7% Fixed on £300/mth is close to market-leading.

    Their other rates for larger amounts are not so impressive.

  • The_Groat_Counter
    The_Groat_Counter Posts: 747
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    The fee-free £250 overdraft is a useful backup.

  • subjecttocontract
    subjecttocontract Posts: 3,826
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    The Co-Op bank offers similar cover.....I think it's £18 a month.

  • PaperPauper
    PaperPauper Posts: 12
    Part of the Furniture First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    I was wondering about this too. I've been a First Direct customer since 1991 I think, and have mainly valued their customer service above all else, but have sensed that even this has dropped a bit over the last five years or so. Their interest rates and products have never been that competitive and their tech looks dated next to the likes of Monzo and co. Withdrawing First Directory without a replacement is a bit of a nail in the coffin, after all, it's not like they are producing many new and innovative products to replace them.

  • kermchem
    kermchem Posts: 290
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Breakdown cover, travel insurance and phone cover are each available with the appropriate accounts from Lloyds or Nationwide (and probably several others).

  • mta999
    mta999 Posts: 769
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Nationwide products are competitive and £18 a month

  • morgmonster
    morgmonster Posts: 69
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Virgin money is another one to look at, just went up to £14 a month and covers all the things you said above. As you mention "we", assuming you're in a couple, just make sure you open it as a joint account in order to get the breakdown cover to cover both of you (as drivers or passengers).

  • Alfredi
    Alfredi Posts: 5
    Fourth Anniversary First Post
    Newbie

    I’m in the same boat, having been with FD since the start, over 30 years ago.

    As a retiree I now have to find an equivalent annual travel policy, plus RAC cover, the former of which is not so easy given age and my partner’s health.

    so I wrote to the FD CEO and asked for an explanation, but he got an underling to mail me back with a load of corporate blather. I asked for a 1 year grace period for the travel insurance, as I’ve booked holidays out to 2027 expecting their travel insurance to remain for another year - it sold itself as an annual policy after all. However they have said quite firmly “no”. After 35+ years of custom with them, I’m not amused.

    Frankly this is a retail bank that used to be excellent but has faded to mediocre and I’ll probably use this as an opportunity to jump ship. Their savings rates, ISAs, loans, mortgages, insurance and stock broking services have never been good and I’ve had to shop these around over the decades, so it won’t be hard to find a replacement. I might just have a standalone travel policy with SAGA because they like us oldies. I can’t understand why moneyexpert raves about their customer service…it’s nothing special.

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,182
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Switch to Nationwide. Their packaged cover has no upper age limit, unlike FD, which only goes up to 70.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.