We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Fees using UK cards in Denmark

This is a slight whinge, but also a request for sound advice.

Over recent trips to Denmark, the increasing frequency with which the “non EU issued” card fee of 3% is added by the merchants to any transaction has really got my goat. The only transactions not having this fee added are those for DOT/DSB. [This fee was also charged by merchants even if I used a DKK account on my Revolut card.]

Even if I revert to using cash, I assume ATMs would also charge withdrawal fees as a percentage (although I haven’t used a Danish ATM in over ten years, so I may be completely wrong on that score).

Does anyone have any experience/suggestions on this? If not, I really don’t want to “just suck it up” as Denmark is pricey enough as it is 🤣. A day trip to Sweden from Helsingør was an eye opener, as Sweden felt “cheaper” (and I don’t think I got charged a 3% fee there).

Comments

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,496 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    From some posts I've seen elsewhere it does seem that this "processing" fee has only been seen generally in the last year or so.

    It is/was always the choice of the seller whether this charge would be absorbed or passed on and it seems that once a few larger retailers decided to give the Brits (and other non-EU card holders) a bashing the thing snowballed.

  • 3010
    3010 Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 3 May at 1:02PM

    I’m a regular visitor to Denmark and use the Halifax Clarity Credit card. I’ve never been charged for withdrawing money from the ATMs over there that are attached to the main banks. Like you say some stores do charge the fee while most larger places just absorb it.

    IMG_1661.jpeg
  • passau91
    passau91 Posts: 68 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Thank you both


    Revolut indicates that the only fee free ATMs in Copenhagen would be the Nordea branches - the most convenient being the one over the road from København H (central rail station). I will give it a try next time I visit.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.