We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Car Hire USA

I have reviewed AVIS car insurance options, nearly all of which are only available at the counter, seem very similar to all the other.

Additional Liability Insurance

Loss Damage Waiver

Personal Accident Insurance

Personel Effects Insurance

Emergency Sickness Plan

Extended Roadside Assistance

Even Virgin and TUI seem to have ambiguity on car hire.

I have arranged an Avis car with loss recovery, wipers etc through Booking.com. From the above I think I need ALI and Breakdown. I am trying to avoid getting stung at the counter, but want the correct cover. Any advice from anyone who has recently hired a car in San Francisco would be very much appreciated.

Comments

  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,773 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 2 May at 2:39PM

    Generally car hire booked via a UK/European agency will have all the required insurances included.

    However some international sites will offer options assuming you are a US resident which will include very little insurance, if any. (It works different for residents as they use their own car policy for hire cars) Unsuspecting tourists can book these rates thinking they're a bargain and then realise at the counter when the only option is to pay through the nose.

    What does your rental include? From your confirmation or voucher?

  • LokiGinge
    LokiGinge Posts: 7 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary First Post

    It includes CDW TPL and mentions zero excess. I have taken out cover to cover bumps and scratches to car. TPL is mentioned but no figures given. I have tried to book on UK Avis site there is no option to book additions online

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.