We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Vodafone digital voice to Sky digital voice
I have FTTP Broadband with a digital voice line with Vodafone. If I change to Sky broadband with digital voice, on the signup page it asks if I have Broadband and Landline, or Broadband only.
I want to keep my phone number, so do I need to pick Broadband and Landline or is that only for those switching from FTTC/ADSL?
If so how do I retain my digital voice phone number when switching to Sky?
Comments
-
This post might help you, basically move your Landline away from an ISP, either a basic service or a full on BT equivalent, difference is not tied to any ISP. Move your number to them first, it is your number not the ISP's, OFCOM rules confirm this.
0 -
Since you already have digital voice, you no longer have a working landline, and new landlines cannot be installed.
You can port your landline number to to VOIP provider and use it that way, via a VOIP adapter.
0 -
When I changed from ZEN to SKY the transfer of my landline number failed and I ended up with a new landline number, I'm FTTP on Open Reach. So just in case have a plan B for new number. I'm told I could have fought for my old number but after having customer service in England then overseas I could not be bothered.
0 -
We need to find a way to be consistent, you can't simultaneously not have a landline and still be able to port the landline.
What you have is Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) service with an allocated number (which may have been inherited from a copper "proper" landline). This service is sometimes called "digital voice", or if you are BT/EE Digital Voice, although they seem to have given up trying to have exclusive use of this term.
0 -
Use the broadband and landline option, I took our phone number from Sky to Virgin and back again with no issues, both are voip. You can safely treat some of the other "advice" as unnecessary.
1 -
All Sky broadband comes with a telephone service regardless of the customer wanting or needing a phone service , the implication , if you don’t want it don’t put a phone in the router phone socket .
If you pick the ‘I only have broadband’ then Sky will allocate you any old phone number from their number range ,but you state you want to keep your existing phone number, so you pick ‘I have broadband and landline’ , then you they will assume you will probably want to keep the number you already have and Sky will need to port the number from your existing provider ( there may be another option after the broadband and line option to confirm ‘I want to keep my existing phone number’ , clearly that option would be pointless if you currently had broadband only as there wouldn’t be a number to port .
If you want to keep your number pick the ‘broadband and line’ option , it has nothing to do with what type of service you currently have ( ADSL, FTTC , FTTP ) many people won’t actually know , what’s more there is more than just Openreach , Virgin , and customers on other networks join Sky as well as customers on Openreach .
It’s worth noting , I’ve seen quite a few posts from people who use Sky and asked when ordering for their existing phone number to be ported , but end up with a different phone number and Sky often simply deny the customer asked for the number to be ported and pretty much close the complaint.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

