We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Tenant obstructing access rights.

1…34689…11

Comments

  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 27,297
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Yes, it's unfair. Hopefully, the threat of an injunction will concentrate minds.

    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 27,297
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I worked as an expert witness for many years, and I saw lots of claimants and defendants looking very anxious in court. (I was anxious in court, and I was only a witness!) I'd definitely pay money to avoid the stress of a legal case.

    A very straightforward injunction would cost at least several thousand in legal fees, and even if you win you don't get all that back. (Normally, about 70%.)

    So, I'm just being pragmatic. If it's going to cost me say £3000 in costs I won't get back, that's £3000 I can put towards settling the case. And, that's if I'm 100% certain I'll win.

    Fortunately for the legal profession, there are lots of people who think differently and plough ahead. :)

    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 16,628
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 5 May at 8:17PM

    Sometimes it's just pragmatic to offer a small discount instead of ongoing hassle. Litigating this one could take years and cost everyone thousands, but one of the tenants may be willing to give up their expectations for £100/month or whatever.

    I don't think it'll apply in this case; neither side will want to back down.

  • TroubledTarts
    TroubledTarts Posts: 1,032
    500 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Yes I get that just never had to do that ourselves as yet.

    In this instance though does the tenant with instructed access realistically require a discount?

  • TroubledTarts
    TroubledTarts Posts: 1,032
    500 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Interesting, but in this instance what would you offer the middle tenant? Or indeed the end tenant as well to apese them both.

  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 27,297
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I don't know the layout. Maybe, you could start with secure bike storage in the front garden? Maybe, negotiate occasional green waste taken through the ROW?

    I actually have sympathy with the EOT tenants, who apparently have a couple of teenagers wheeling bikes through their back garden pretty frequently. Teenagers are not always the quietest or most thoughtful.

    I'd definitely be looking at practical ways to sort this out.

    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 12,005
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I don't buy the end tenant saying they didn't know about the ROW before signing the tenancy. What did they imagine the gate was for? Decoration?

    Make £2026 in 2026
    Prolific £231.51, Octopoints £4.60, Tesco Clubcard challenges £38.80, Airtime £10 TCB £225.19, Everup £77.04, Roadkill £1.77,  Zopa CB £30, Misc £10.11,
    Total £629.02  31%

    Make £2025 in 2025  Total £2241.23/£2025 110.7%
    Prolific £1062.50, Octopoints £6.64, TCB £492.05, Tesco Clubcard challenges £89.90, Misc Sales £321, Airtime £70, Shopmium £53.06, Everup £106.08, Zopa CB £30, Misc survey £10

    Make £2024 in 2024 Total £1410 70%
    Make £2023 in 2023 Total: £2606.33 128.8%


  • TroubledTarts
    TroubledTarts Posts: 1,032
    500 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Surely you are not suggesting a tenant is telling fibs??

    I can understand teenagers making a bit of noise and if the row is straight across the back of the end of terrace tenants say back windows and door who knows what noise they have had to put up with and at what hours.

    A diagram of the layout from @silvercar would be handy.

  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 16,628
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    The way it's written it implies they've allowed access for a while and then changed it. It'd need clarifying by that'd indicate that they must have been aware of it rather than moving and being blindsided.

    I don't believe many people would see a row of terraces with no path behind them and a gate between the houses and not realized that it's the only way the mid terraces can access it.

  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 16,628
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    No. The tenant who's violating the deeds should be told to either address the access issue to be evicted.

    But being pragmatic, assuming the landlord wants to keep them as tenants for some reason, given they are being difficult already, then some discount to get them to "allow" the open right of way would be the easiest option.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.