We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Brand new car warranties

2»

Comments

  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 4,055 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    This. I had over 10 grand's worth of repairs done on a 5 year old Volvo under 'goodwill' but only because it had a full Volvo service history.

  • Arunmor
    Arunmor Posts: 918 Forumite
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    I agree, I will use the dealer network whilst the car is under warranty after that will take it to my local trusted mechanic. You just don't want to slip up on some technicality when you really need the warranty for something expensive.

  • WellKnownSid
    WellKnownSid Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I remember someone we knew couldn't get a new engine in their Jag after failing the blow-by test - because the dealer found a Ford oil filter on it. The engine was one of the ones affected by the Nikasil coating failing due to supermarket fuel, before ULS became standard in the UK.

    The oil filter was the same part - just came in a Ford box for probably 1/3rd the price.

  • Mildly_Miffed
    Mildly_Miffed Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    The current maximum level of sulphur in petrol has been in place since 2004.

    The block exemption rules that require dealers to stand by warranties even where work was done outside the dealer chain, so long as it was done to standard, applied from 2003 - and have been tightened since. (Fortunately, despite them being EU regulations, the UK chose to retain them post-breggzit)

    The early AJV8 engines, with the sulphur-affected Nikasil bores, were in production from 1997 to 2000, so any new-car warranty would have expired by the time the BER was in place…

    So…

  • WellKnownSid
    WellKnownSid Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    He'd bought it second hand with "main dealer stamps". No idea if the "dealer" existed or was pulling a fast one on parts. I know our local Saab dealer routinely fitted GM parts but charged Saab prices - no different to charging customers to fill a sump from one litre bottles even though the oil came from a 2000 litre bulk tank.

  • Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    When my car is in warranty I will send it to the dealers for a service.

    The car is on an A and B service schedule with other "recommended" items dotted throughout it's schedule, but I only have the A or B service. (I did get them to swap the wiper blades, but at £20 I couldn't do that myself cheaper)

    If the service checks throw up things like brakes, I usually do those myself.

    This year it's "recommended" a gearbox oil change, but that should equate to 60,000 miles, not the 18,000 miles it's actually done, so I just say no thank you. It'll get changed when needed, but that's not yet and I'll do it myself.

    So I have a fully stamped up service history and it only costs me either £305 or £189 a year with the dealers.

    Most of the other stuff, like brake fluid and coolant changes just cost me a few quid and a few hours of my own spare time, though if the weather is bad, I might let my mate, how has a garage do it for me.

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,148 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    This year it's "recommended" a gearbox oil change, but that should equate to 60,000 miles, not the 18,000 miles it's actually done, so I just say no thank you. It'll get changed when needed, but that's not yet and I'll do it myself.

    You do realise that it is usually time or miles, which ever is 1st.

    Thus by saying no, you have blown the warranty should you have any gearbox issues. 🤷‍♀️

    Life in the slow lane
  • Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    No, I checked with Renault.

    These items are not part of the actual service schedule with regards to warranty. They are recommended or additional items based on mileage, not years.

    Most of these additional items stand outside the initial warranty anyway except a brake fluid change. Things like the gearbox oil is 60,000, which they expect to be around 5 years. It came with a 5 year warranty, so no problem there.

    It's just the expected average mileage of my car doesn't match the year they recommend due to my low mileage. My car does far fewer miles than average so instead of my gearbox needing new oil at 5 years based on their average miles, it's 60,000 miles.

    They devised this schedule like this to actually stop unnecessary and expensive work just based on time to keep the warranty.

    On the other hand the A and B schedule service is based on 12 months or 12,000 miles and is classed as essential even though I don't do that in this car.

    It's quite clear when you read the warranty and service packs of what is essential and what is recommended and when they are all due.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.