We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

DCA - Fobbed off by Lender!

Hi everyone,


First post to this forum so please bear with me.

So like many of you I watched Martin’s recent shows giving advice if anyone has taken out an agreement on a car hire through PCP etc, personally I was always struggling with some of the finer details like agreement numbers as my agreements go back to 2012. However Martin’s latest advice was to use the app myEquifax to locate these details and submit an email (from Martin’s template on MSE) to the lenders. I went on to do this however I received an email saying my details could not be verified, now I appreciate the finance company has to do this but all of the details I provided ie agreement number, living address at the time were/are correct - so why can’t I be verified (feels like an unnecessary additional step to buy more time for the lender). I have phoned the finance company who still can’t verify me and basically I have been fobbed off as it’s my problem not the lender.

Has anyone else experienced this and what are my options? The company is BMW Group


Many thanks

Andy

Comments

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,853 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 30 April at 2:22PM

    I'm struggling to see why you are being fobbed off.

    You say they have told you that they cannot verify you. I assume you mean ID. So, what have they recommended you do get yourself verified?

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 4,250 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Not every company will or is obliged to keep records from 13/14 years ago, that could be the simplest explanation.

  • andyretro
    andyretro Posts: 3 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post

    They could not verify my identify despite me providing name, address and who i banked with at the time. When I use language like fobbed off it’s because i asked that exact same question - how can i verify myself to you but unfortunly BMW Group were not willing to share this vital infortmation and best yet put the phone down on me without any explanation? If fobbed off isnt the word please do advise and ill update the post.

  • andyretro
    andyretro Posts: 3 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post

    They could not verify my identify despite me providing name, address and who i banked with at the time. When I use language like fobbed off it’s because i asked that exact same question - how can i verify myself to you but unfortunly BMW Group were not willing to share this vital information and best yet put the phone down on me without any explanation? If fobbed off isnt the word please do advise and ill update the post.

  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 4,250 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    I agree with @dunstonh, if they simply don't have the records at their end there is no way they can identify you or the agreement.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.