We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Ripped off by Sky
After 19 years with Sky, a so called Diamond member, I decided to leave after hefty mid contract price hike. I was assured there would be no early termination fees. So switched to EE.
Days late got an email with early termination fees. I phoned again, this operator made a note assuring me there would be no fees.
Just before the end of the month notice period I phoned sky again to check on the termination fees to find they’d only cancelled broadband and hadn’t cancelled my tv services!!
Had to pay around £250 plus another month’s subscription.
Made a formal complaint so I hope to get it back, who knows.
Comments
-
The broadband price rise allowed the option to escape that part without penalty.
I presume you just arranged a broadband switch by contacting EE, that is why only the Sky broadband service was terminated.
TV contracts cannot be terminated within their minimum term unless specifically agreed with Sky, go read the Ts and Cs.
Once again, there is no "ripped off by Sky", just a customer who didn't know what they were doing, loads of similar cases on the Sky forum.0 -
I specifically asked the sky rep if I would incur termination fees and they said no. It will be on the recording.
0 -
They were correct, no termination fees due to a mid contract BROADBAND price rise.
0 -
The discussion was about the whole sky package
0 -
If you were still in the minimum contract period for TV then there will be charges for early termination, suggest you dig out the Ts and Cs.
0 -
You're missing the point. I was specifically asking if there would be any fees if I canceled everything with sky. I was told no.
0 -
Either the advisor gave you duff info or you misinterpreted what they said.
Good luck with your complaint.0 -
Which Sky TV platform were you on? Sky Q and Sky HD+ customers COULD leave ETC free (I used it to renegotiate my own package), exactly the same as the broadband customers. Stream and Glass customers were tied in to the TV subscription.
0 -
@simful - you should have got an email about the two services separately. Giving the same message about b/band and Q/HD TV packages. I certainly got one re the TV services.
0 -
They've refunded all termination fees. So result there. I must have spent 2 hours on the phone to them over 4 phone calls in last month. Phew!
Switch to EE has gone ahead.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards