We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Cheaper Radio Times Subscription

13

Comments

  • Majinate
    Majinate Posts: 11 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    The latest update is that my scathing TrustPilot review has triggered an escalation at RadioTimes and I've had contact from "Radio Times Editorial Reader Services" who have tasked the "Escalations Team". They appear from their contact details to be separate from the Immediate Media people.

  • danny13579
    danny13579 Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Majinate

    Funnily enough, I bought the original subscription that way. After my Dad died, my Mum just accepted whatever was offered to her at renewal, not knowing any different.

    That's their modus operandi. Get people subscribed with a cheap introductory offer and then hope that they won't know or notice that when the introductory offer ends, they're paying full price for 6 months or a year's subscription.

    Only when challenged they'll reduce it to some other offer, again for a fixed period of time, but many old people (like your mum) will not or cannot do this and go on paying full price, often for a very long time, until someone like a relative notices and can put a stop to it, like in your case.

    I find it all a bit predatory, especially when we're dealing with magazine subscriptions like Radio Times which would generally have an older subscriber base, compared to the likes of Amazon which also regularly do introductory offers but would generally have a more tech-savvy subscriber base who can easily cancel before being charged full price.

  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 7,124 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • Majinate
    Majinate Posts: 11 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    For completeness to close this thread, I've now agreed a free 3-month subscription period with RT's escalation team after which they say they will make a revised offer, which I expect to be £55 for 6 months.

    I'm satisfied with that outcome, but am not committing to renewing.

  • dnpark38
    dnpark38 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper

    Does the local newsagent take orders and deliver?

  • I've cancelled my subscription after receiving a letter saying it was going up to £143 every six months. Their website offers £65 for six months renewing at £65 every six months. i rang the number on my letter and asked how mine could go up to £143 when the website says £65 every six months. Was told by a very belligerent operator that she does deal with the website but she can cancel my subscription (which i did) and refund my £143. She then gave me a different number for the website. The man i spoke to there says the £65 for up to £143 after six months. When I told him that's not what it says on the website he replied that that's what it says in the Terms and Conditions. I repeated that THAT'S NOT WHAT IS SAYS ON THE WEBSITE but he repeated that that's what is says in the Terms and Conditions. I told him that this was very dishonest, advertising in large text that the subscription was £65 to lead people into signing up. It's also untrue. He had no answer for this then told me we'd just have to 'agree to disagree'. I wasn't going to let him off the hook that easily and repeated that it was dishonest and misleading to offer a much cheaper price in the hope that people wouldn't read the small print. I want going to waste any more if my time so asked him to confirm that my subscription has been cancelled and my money refunded. I suspect they'll be getting quite a lot of cancellations with this price jump from £123 to £143 every six months. TV Times seems a much better deal.

  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 7,124 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic

    The issue with some telephone centres is they just work of a script and if that script is wrong all that can do is repeat it.

    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • Majinate
    Majinate Posts: 11 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    Not quite finished after all! So the 3 months is up and they've offered a new subscription deal, but the best they are prepared to offer now is £156 for a year. If I order from them through Tesco, it would be £55 for 6 months or £120 for 12, but as that's Immediate Media again, I'll pass and order from www.magazine.co.uk at £65 for 6 months instead.

  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,695 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    My Radio Times rarely arrives on time nowadays so I've just cancelled. Every time it doesn't arrive they promise to extend my subscription for a week, it will be interesting to see if this happens.

    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.