We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Recommendations for 'dementia' clock

Hi all

Sorry if this post is in the incorrect forum. I could not find anywhere else to post it.

I need to buy a clock that clearly displays the date and time for a relative with dementia. They are sometimes called 'dementia' clocks.

I have done numerous searches but got a little overwhelmed with the amount of clocks there are.

It has to be clear (date and time the most important), batteries (no electrical socket near the spot where it will be situated), easy to use (simple), portable (to move to other areas).

I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations of experience of these clocks please?

thank you

«1

Comments

  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I've just checked but unfortunately the ones I bought for my mother need a power supply so are no use to you. She finds them very useful. I found them a bit tricky to set up and not sure if hers are still now showing GMT or someone local has managed to change them to BST (I don't live nearby and so rarely get a chance to visit her).

  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,788 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 29 April at 10:34AM

    This is the one I bought for my Dad (there are many similar) I set it up for him and he said he found it helpful, particularly having the day of the week on the screen. He found it clear and easy to read

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08JJBNYL7?ref_=ppx_hzsearch_conn_dt_b_fed_asin_title_1&th=1

    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,810 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    just as a way to eliminate some of the choice I'd suggest to NOT go for one that has a display like this one. I don't have dementia but my eyesight is less than perfect and I find these very difficult to read.

    image.png

    We did have one of the plug in models for my MiL and while it was normally plugged in it did take batteries as well. What we didn't have for her was a model that had the big sun on them to indicate if it was day or night. This might have been helpful as she normally went to bed early but then get up at 11 pm thinking it was 11 am and that she had overslept.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    But unfortunately that one is also mains powered, not battery powered as the OP wants….

  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 15,887 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Homepage Hero Name Dropper

    I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations of experience of these clocks please?

    We got a battery powered one, timed by radio signal

    Worked well except Mum never believed it and was convinced it was always telling the wrong time. This belief was bolstered because the tele programmes were not same as the time they should be on!

    Mum kept turning to wrong day of TV guides, it really can be a problem that just goes on & on, hopefully your results will be better

    Member of "Rubbish at Radishes" club
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,788 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 101,312 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Mortgage-free Glee!

    Sorry, the one I bought for my friend was plug in so can’t help.

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.[/b] [11 months left.[/b]
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 7,477 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Amazon…Ant Good?

    Screenshot 2026-04-29 at 21.09.52.png
  • Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 755 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I spent ages trying to find a battery version and had to give in.

    I bought a plug in one from TEMU as wanted it to say the words morning or afternoon along with time, day and date and they were really pricey elsewhere. Found one with a white surround as relative doesnt like black and now have one in each room of their home. Its helped a lot as there was huge confusion over wether its time to get up and start day or go to sleep.

  • john1
    john1 Posts: 486 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper

    If the situation changes and you want to "upgrade" later on there is a free software and app called Calendar Clock This provides assistance to people by remote carers on providing routine and structure plus video links if required so they can continue living independently for longer. This app and software can use existing devices such as older tablets etc nothing expensive

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.