We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
AA renewal £615 - does anyone else pay this much?!?!
Hello
First thread I’ve written myself but the MSE forums have been really helpful before.
An AA patrol was shocked yesterday when I said I was paying £51 monthly for AA national recovery and home start.
I just called the AA customer service who are adamant this is their usual pricing and entirely correct.
I will hopefully get a neighbour to get a quote as a new customer and for them to also ask what it will then go up to on renewal.
But can any of you helpful Aa members out there tell me what you pay for the same cover?
Really appreciated, NorfolkMardler.
Comments
-
MSE have a relevant article to your question. £600 a year seems expensive to me… unless you're driving a supercar. :D
0 -
Just got a quote for national recovery and home start, £9.95 per month.
0 -
Another trick is switch who has the policy eg between you and your wife.
0 -
Yes, you are vastly overpaying. Have a look here -
Cheap Breakdown Cover UK – Car & Roadside Assistance | MSE
and you can see that cover from the AA can be had for £40 a year.
Personally, I swap between the RAC and the AA every year and pay about £60 for my cover which I'm happy with. When I had a Ford car and a Nissan car if I paid for a yearly service I got free AA breakdown cover as part of that. I once had to call the AA when my Ford had a problem and he told me I was on literally the best cover you could get (he came out in 25 minutes).
0 -
Welcome to the forum.
But can any of you helpful Aa members out there tell me what you pay for the same cover?
I took out personal AA cover this year, for myself and my son, travelling in any vehicle, with roadside assistance and national recovery. Total price for the year was about £80.
Having just checked, I could add Home Assistance for an extra £40, so £120 total for the year.
It sounds as though you're paying at least 5x as much as you need to.
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.0 -
The wondrous benefits of demutualisation…
0 -
When i was with the AA last year,they upped it to £56 a year,just 4 the basic cover .This year iv gone with rescue my car, £21a year for the lot, home start onward travel,no access, unlimited call outs
0 -
Not with the AA.
When my RAC policy was due for renewal in March, Personal, Home Start, Roadside, National Recovery, I checked with the AA and for the same cover they quoted £133/annum.
"Your new price for 12 months is £102.99" was the RAC renewal.
I renewed with the RAC at £90 after a phone call.
£600 seems somewhat over the top.
0 -
£615!!!!!…wow!!!, you are being ripped off…!!
.."It's everybody's fault but mine...."2 -
My immediate reaction to the thread title is astonishment at the word "else"… because I'm simply astonished that you are not refusing point blank to pay that.
When did you last look at what the options were, rather than simply auto-renewing?
Do you ever read your renewal letter?
I'm paying £18/mo for full joint personal cover with full Euro cover with no vehicle age limit AND full global travel insurance AND full global mobile phone cover, with a packaged bank account.
The current headline figure on their website, with no details bar postcode and DoB (neither of which need be accurate!) is £144/yr for full national recovery/at home/onward travel…0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards



