We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Help!

Hi when all the hype about claiming back mis sold car finance came out I went with the MSE recommendation of Bott and Co. I have had numerous emails from them over the months. Now with recent advancements can I now email them to say they are no longer needed? How do I know what I signed up to as it was so long ago. I have only just found out that my husband also put in a claim with them for the same cars! He thought he was doing good 🙄 Where do we stand?

Comments

  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,797 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    moving this to the reclaim car finance board…..that said I think you need to look at the T&Cs of what you signed up to and see if there's a way to get out of the agreement without a cost. Might be something on an old email or have a look at their website for details?

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 2,373 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Don't think MSE has ever recommended a claims management firm. You need to look at the latest guide which I seem to recall includes details about ways to as a claims management firm to remove you from their claim but it will cost likely cost you a small amount.

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,853 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Hi when all the hype about claiming back mis sold car finance came out I went with the MSE recommendation of Bott and Co.

    MSE has never recommended an ambulance chaser.

     I have had numerous emails from them over the months. Now with recent advancements can I now email them to say they are no longer needed? 

    You will be subject to the cancellation terms you signed up to. However, if you signed up to them under misrepresentation, then you have grounds to complain, and you might get out that way.

    How do I know what I signed up to as it was so long ago.

    You look at the contract that you signed. You should have a copy of it.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • ForumFan65
    ForumFan65 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary

    The company Bott & Co was definitely recommended by Martin Lewis as I know others who have signed up because it was him who recommended. People have busy lives and at the time were looking for a quick way to apply. We all work for the NHS and have other priorities.

    No kne really answered my question 🤷🏼‍♀️

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,853 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    The company Bott & Co was definitely recommended by Martin Lewis as I know others who have signed up because it was him who recommended.

    You are mistaken. Martin has never recommended an ambulance chaser. The MSE Car Finance Reclaim Guide and the more recent discretionary commission guide both push people to do it for themselves for free or to use the MSE claims tool.

    People have busy lives and at the time were looking for a quick way to apply.

    If people are lazy or can't be bothered, then they may as well use a claims company for the extra five minutes' it will save compared with doing it yourself

    No kne really answered my question 🤷🏼‍♀️

    Your question was answered. You need to read the contract you signed agreeing to the terms.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 11,776 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    It is far quicker and easier to simply use the MSE free tool rather than giving a huge chunk of refund away to a firm who use the same free process you would use with MSE. These firms lie about having specialist knowledge or databases of car sale agreements which they don't, then some of them sign you up to do things like tax reclaims for you and take even more of your money

    MSE and Martin 100% did not recommend any firms - the MSE newsletter covering DCA going back a year or so always stats to do it yourself using their template and Martin always warns about people impersonating him or putting his name/face to things - he routinely reminds you that he DOES NOT EVER do endorsements of firms

    Sam Vimes' Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness: 

    People are rich because they spend less money. A poor man buys $10 boots that last a season or two before he's walking in wet shoes and has to buy another pair. A rich man buys $50 boots that are made better and give him 10 years of dry feet. The poor man has spent $100 over those 10 years and still has wet feet.

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,220 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Definitely wasnt; he has long campaigned against people using claims management firms for miss selling complaints etc. He mainly came to prominence in 2005 with his campaigns about unfair bank charges and doubled down in 2006 when he targeted reclaiming PPI which he actively advised against using firms. 20 years later he hasn't made a u turn

    I dont know what you did see… there are feeders into claims management companies that do falsely use his image claiming certain things are endorsed by him on social media when they arent but its a bit of a pointless thing.

    In principle you stand at either allowing the companies to continue and pay them their percentage of anything reclaimed or you notify them you are discontinuing the cases with them and pay up what you owe them for the work that they have done to date.

    The FCA has warned firms not to over charge for discontinued claims but not overcharging doesnt mean that they can't charge at all.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.