We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Bank wanting zero balance on reward credit card

Hi, I'm in the middle of a mortgage application and the bank is currently holding it up because they want a zero/nil balance on two credit cards I use for my daily spending and then pay off each month. The cards are a paid (£300 annual) BA Amex Premium Plus (and a back up Barclaycard Avios Mastercard for where Amex isn't accepted). I'm a frequent traveller and save of lot of money on travels with these Avios collecting cards.

Asking for a zero balance on these cards doesn't make sense because if I don't use them, I lose the benefit. The last statements for both card showed a combined balance of around £70 as I was reluctant to use them in the middle of the mortgage application but it's now been 2 months and I can't keep not using them whilst paying for them.

Has anybody been in that situation before? The mortgage is quite small £140k over 27 years, I earn over £62k annually and I have no other debt. Seems extremely strict, the bank is TSB my broker said they're talking to them about it but I rang TSB directly and they said the still want a zero balance statement.

«1

Comments

  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,869
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 23 April at 12:31AM

    Are there other complexities holding up the application? 2 months seems unusal. In the whole scheme of things, temporary loss of the benefit to allow a better mortgage deal is worthwhile overall. Clear the balance (manually, don't wait for the direct debit, make sure it's the balance as of today not the last bill balance ) and show the bank evidence. Once the mortgage is approved, go back to using the cards.

  • Isthisforreal99
    Isthisforreal99 Posts: 1,501
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    It does seem strict on those salary and mortgage figures but their money, their rules - they don't care if you are paying a fee and losing out on points.s

    Not sure how you "can't keep not using them whilst paying for them" as it seems rather simple to not use them until the mortgage is completed.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,536
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 23 April at 7:44AM

    Not sure how you "can't keep not using them whilst paying for them" as it seems rather simple to not use them until the mortgage is completed.

    Suspect that the OP shares my view that any card that carries a fee should always be used such that cashback/reward earned should exceed the cost of ownership.

    But yes, maybe just consider the loss of Avios as part of the mortgaging costs.

  • TroubledTarts
    TroubledTarts Posts: 1,032
    500 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    A different mortgage provider springs to mind

  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 2,228
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I had around £8,000 on a 0% credit card and the same amount in a savings account earning a decent amount every month but to get the mortgage I had to clear it so I had a £0 balance.

    It didn't make sense as I could clearly pay it off any time and did so to get the mortgage even though I lost the monthly interest on the savings.

  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 13,132
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    It makes total sense from the bank's perspective, they have to use debt and income for affordability and risk, they are not allowed to consider savings.

  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,427
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper
    Ambassador

    We’ve had a condition attached to the mortgage offer, that cards have zero balance. Our solicitor took that to mean that when we draw down the mortgage (ie the day before completion) we had to show zero balance on the cards.

    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • artyboy
    artyboy Posts: 2,315
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 23 April at 8:42AM

    This. I'm surprised that the lender wouldn't be satisfied by proof that the card balances are consistently paid off in full, every month. That is them being used exactly as intended, and entirely responsibly, because it is actually generating a return.


    It's carp like this that makes me very glad I'll never need another mortgage. Back in the "good" old days they were practically throwing money at us 😬

  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 13,131
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    We have just had the same with our mortgage offer from Halifax. The conditions were we had a zero balance on the credit card and we paid off a HP agreement that literally had one repayment remaining!

    Although our solicitors have never asked for any proof either was paid off.

    I think lenders are being a little more cautious than normal at the moment. We were well in on affordability with the amount borrowed even taking account of the credit card and HP agreement.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.