We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

absolute scam: vouchersent £25 gift card (Santander)

2»

Comments

  • mta999
    mta999 Posts: 769
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    If they refuse (or weasel their way out of) opening a complaint can you also get a Deadlock letter after eight weeks have passed ?

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,074
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 22 April at 3:49PM

    They are obliged to open a complaint and failure/refusal to do so would be worth another, but once opened, it can be escalated to FOS after eight weeks even without a final response (aka deadlock letter).

  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 11,777
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    It has been a while since my last complaint so my memory could be wrong, but I think if the provider informs you they will not be treating your complaint as a complaint and/or that they won't be issuing a deadlock letter then you don't have to wait the full 8 weeks before going to FOS. The "we won't be treating this as a complaint" can count as a final response.

    As part of the triage process FoS want details of the complaint ref and final response, but there is a route through triage for cases where no complaint ref has been provided and no final response given - I've not used it myself, but presume if you got to that point FoS would contact the provider to make (informal) enquiries whether the customer should expect a response of some kind within the 8 weeks?

    Also, although probably not applicable to this thread, I understand there's also a hardship route if a response won't be forthcoming and the complainant's financial suffering would be exacerbated by waiting the full 8 weeks.

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,074
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Yes, I should perhaps have been clearer and emphasised that institutions are obliged to accept valid complaints, i.e. from their own eligible customers, about their own regulated activities, within the defined timescales, etc - if they assert that it isn't valid and the complainant disagrees then, yes, FOS should be the next port of call without any requirement to wait eight weeks.

    And yes, FOS does have some sort of expedited process where time is of the essence, but as you say, claiming a modest gift hardly qualifies!

  • Dang. Wish I'd seen this thread and the Trustpilot score before signing up to Santander. When it comes to Martin Lewis, I pretty much trust him and MSE implicitly. Guess there's a lesson learnt here. I am hoping that this dodgy voucher website will cough up for me (I've had the usual 'if you haven't had it by 4th June, get in touch' email) but I see from other people I'm going to have to prepare for a fight or just chalk it off as an unpleasant scam.

  • Gambler
    Gambler Posts: 3,526
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    I claimed yesterday and I've just received the voucher.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.